Thermostat housing ford modular

Hello
I have the 5.4 32 valve GT engine and need the thermostat housing. I think I can use different housing from other modell. Which modell is best. I show in one image my engine and one image a thermostat housing I think should work for my setup.
And where to buy?
Thanks in advance
Magnus

Attachments

• Cobra termosat.jpg
    Cobra termosat.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 2011-02-08 21.37.07.jpg
    2011-02-08 21.37.07.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 355

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Magnus:

I have used that specific thermostat and housing on both my GT40 and my Pantera with very good success. I like it because it is remote and can be mounted up front behind the radiator simplifying plumbing at the engine. THe housing and internal thermostat is avialble from Ford. There is also a 160 thermostat available for the housing fomr aftermarket manufacturers. I will need to go to the shop and get the part numbers. Kirby Schrader also used this unit and may have the message available where I sent him the part numbers. I will be going to the shop in the next few days and will get the numbers for you.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It isn't available as an assembly so you have to order the pieces separate from Ford. Here are the numbers:
Water neck F6ZZ8592BB
Housing XR3Z8K528AA
Seal F1VY8255A

The 160 degree F thermostat element is from HyperTech and the part number is #1011.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
There is one more option that will likely be much easier to get and cost about 25% of the modular thermostat is one that I have used on serveral high HP cars. Look for a thermostat for a '85 BMW 318i. It is a remote bypass thermostat like the Ford unit but can not be taken apart. If you can arrange your hose to fit the BMW unit it will flow plenty of water. I have used in on several high HP Pantera.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here's the BMW unit Mike's talking about..
33cd_1.jpg

I've welded (slowly) adapters on my T-Stat housing to bring the 1.25" up to 1.5"

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Hopefully it will all work out as well as expected...

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Randy:

I'm still totally amazed and impressed that you were able to weld fittings on that housing without blowing the blub in the thermostat. You are the man. You obviously have the patience of Job.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The Contour uses a different water neck than the modular motor does. The housing is the same, but the Contour neck is almost straight (instead of the 90 degree turn of the modular motor's neck, and interchangeable.

Back