Favorite wire fastening parts?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Looking for suggestions and/or consensus:

There are a lot of ways to fasten down a wire or wire harness when it runs, say, up the side of the firewall in the engine bay: padded clamps attached to a hole or rivnut in frame, adhesive clips, adhesive wire-tie pads, wire tie through a pair of holes, snap-in plastic loops in a 3/16" hole, etc., etc.

What are your favorites for a professional, reliable solution?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
James --

Thanks, this store is a good example of the common solutions that are out there.

They have :

3M adhesive cord clips:
adhesive cable clips.jpg
nylon cable clamps ("p clamps"):
nylon cable clamp.jpg
pushmount ties:
Push-Mount-Ties-Button.jpg,
screw mount ties:
Screw-Mount-Ties-Button.jpg

I have all of these in one form or another, along with padded metal p-clamps.

But there's a conflict:

1. I worry about the longevity of any of the adhesive ones and
  2. I want to drill as few and as small holes as possible.
So one way or another they are all non-ideal. I have a vague recollection that there is an "aircraft-grade" adhesive solution but can't remember what that is.

Good old Aircraft Spruce carries only these two for use with nylon wire ties:

adhesive cable tie mount.jpg
cradle cable tie mount.jpg

and Hi-Tech uses somethnig lke the first of thoe in its adhesive mode to hold down some harnesses at the front of the SPF GT40. But aviation stuff is not necessarily appropriate for a race car.

So what I'm wondering is:

Are there others that are better than these, and,
Which of all of them are your favorite?

Or to put it another way, if I were an experienced and knowledgeable professional at race car construction, :laugh: , what would I do?

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Try a search for "Click-Bond" fasteners and cable ties.

That's the one! Now, having found them on Aircraft Spruce (under "fasteners") as a kit of four for $14.50, my question is whether that's the best way to obtain them. Are there larger quantity/lower price packagings available to the amateur?

Back