Ballast resister

Testing the voltage to the coil on my chevrolet engined 40 showed it was only receiving around 7 to 8 volts from a healthy battery. Testing either side of the ballast resister revealed it was the culprit and I bypassed it. The car now starts beautifully for the first time ever - but my question is: will I damage something by removing the resister? I don't think the coil I have requires one....

Ken,yes you will have a problem at the least you will burn out the coil and if you have points they will burn out as well. The coil of most engines will get about 9 to 10 volts to a 12 volt coil when cranking the engine. thus causing coil starvation and hard starting. If a resistor is fitted, the coil should be a resistor compatable coil via the resistor. The resistor should than be wired so when cranking the resistor is bypassed and you get full battery voltage to the coil. This will be about 10 volts to the 9 volt coil. When cranking is stoped the coil should revert back to the resistor.

Darrell DRB G50 LS1

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
You need to run a wire from the starter motor solenoid up to the coil.
When you are cranking the starter the coil willget full volts and when key is released to run position the coil gets it's power through the resistor

Ian

Back