Why water hoses die

Thanks Graeme, Thanks for the info from Gates on hose deterioration. I run of my engines with 180'F thermostats, even my new Ford run around truck. We do the same on our farm engines and have experienced few hose problems over the years. I always felt todays 195'F emission engines are on the ragged edge. Another case of going too far. Ranger Jim

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
But the story does not place the cause of failure on temps.

They sort of hint at it along with small diameter and location and flexing and short cycling and ....

"Accelerated by high-heat and flexing, the hose can develop a pinhole leak or rupture under normal pressure."

"....the bypass hose is especially subject to electrochemical attack, aggravated by the extremely high temperatures passing through a smaller radius hose."

But it's a frustrating article in that it doesn't come out and say what changed "in recent years" in the hose's environment to explain the early failures. And there's no date on the article. All we know is that it was some time after the 1960's.

Furthermore, they say nothing about how to identify or get those cool new (?) hoses....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
a special team of Gates engineers identified the primary cause of coolant hose failure as an electrochemical attack on the rubber tube compound in the hose

Not temperature

Back