Plastic Fuel Tanks

Is anyone out there using plastic fuel tanks? I was hoping to use a proper race car bag tanks on my replica, but they are just too expensive, I have used aluminium tanks on previous cars, but I have always wondered how well they would withstand an impact especially around the welded seams?

Any recommendations gratefully received

Thanks,

Brian Coombs.

I have plastic tanks and they have a gas odor to them. If you use them make sure you seal them from the interior or you'll smell the gas fumes

Is anyone out there using plastic fuel tanks? I was hoping to use a proper race car bag tanks on my replica, but they are just too expensive, I have used aluminium tanks on previous cars, but I have always wondered how well they would withstand an impact especially around the welded seams?

Any recommendations gratefully received

Thanks,

Brian Coombs.

Brian,
I wouldn`t use plastic, if I had a choice i`d go with ali, plastic fine for diesel! Having seen some fairly "mashed" up ali tanks when racing and having lost a couple of friends in a Pug 205 (the tank split) during an accident I would go ali every time. I will be using ali on my car when the time comes.
regards Chris

Plastic can seriously suffer from degradation from ethanol which is added to US fuel in significant amounts and now they're changing the rules in the UK to not have to declare up to a certain amount of ethanol in the fuel (which affects a number of older cars).

See the Ducati fiasco wrt melting/distorting tanks (eg first google result - The Ducati plastic fuel tank lawsuit - ADVrider )

Our KCC came with plastic tanks. We've stripped the whole car now for a ground-up rebuild. The tanks have a few small holes and need a good clean out. We're trying to decide if we should scrap them and get new ones manufactured or re-use these.

Only saw this post now...

Interesting that they have holes. Where are they? Would like to know if maybe it's because of the design. Or if pehaps someone thought it was a good idea to weld/grind near them.

My KCC also has plastic tanks. They still look good, and we had each about 50% with fuel, and no leaks. There's also no visible damage. The only problem is they bulged a bit, but I'm making an adjustable mounting for them in the front, so that I never have to struggle as much again as I did when I had to get them out.

Back