Disszy for Weber intakes

My actual Distributor will not clear the new Weber intake.
PICT4765_zpsb834868c.jpg

it still needs about 10mm to fully sit. So a distributor with a 1/2" taller lower housing would be ideal.
My disszy is MSD# 8579 and runs perfect. Called MSD an they say they do have taller ones but not with the small diameter disszy cap.
Waht do your run. Would prefer mechanical only advance distributor, needs to have magnetic pick up to fire my MSD 6 AL.

Thanks
TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I will look at mine tonight.

Who's intake manifold is this?

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Uh oh.... I have the same combination and the Distributor MSD-8579 was recommended by Jim Inglese. I'll try it tonight and see if mine fits.

My Cobra has webers, but with the dual outlet Cobra manifold. It fits fine.

Can you not trim the intake manifold &/ or dizzy body to allow fitment[ be careful around intake front coolant passage ], might require reposition of plug leads in cap to find a 'sweet' spot for cap retainer lugs, I am not sure if you have manifold in correct position as no bolts appear to be fitted. MSD do make stand alone -'Ready To Run ' dizzys , these dont require the 6AL box, these are smaller diameter in body & cap, just remember to get it with the gear to match the camshaft material type.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

I took some pictures for you.
I have the MSD 8579 as well.. We did have to polish off about 1/8" of material on the intake, but it fits well now..

B263C63C-D4ED-4DD5-A197-007C7A368630-2022-000005C70F9EEEBF_zps379df224.jpg

A07D650C-78A6-4A5F-91DE-76B15C9A16C3-2022-000005C7172CB728_zps84a204c6.jpg

58ED68B6-C8BB-4103-895C-676F8891CFF4-2022-000005C72118DE44_zpse376bbe5.jpg

Chuck

Supporter
Comparing pics, I suspect we have different manifolds. The weber seem to be spaced slightly wider on mine, which may be why the dizzy fits. Snug, but fits. No grinding was needed.

Attachments

• MSD.JPG
    MSD.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers

Manifold is in correct position, four of the center bolts are fitted to glue on the gaskets for portmatching at that stage.

Intake is from PROCOMPELECTRONICS with a vacuum plenum connecting all runners into that plenum.
$(KGrHqMOKnIE2cn4YGtFBN1uZOR7Ww~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKjoE24ioWTSWBN1uZeEmBw~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKiME3!VnwShvBN1uZrVon!~~_12.JPG

Just grinding of some material of both parts would no get enough clearance, only a severe cut and reweld of the waterpassage would do.

I realy like my 8579 especially because the gear runs perfectly located in the camshaft. I can only see some tracks exactly in the center of the gear, no wear at all and this with my heavy 20W50 VR1 Oil. perfect. ALso never had any issue with ignition it just fires.

Thanks

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Tom

You may want to look at Inglese Induction.

Inglese: Intake Manifold, 289-302W, IDF

Although your manifold looks strikingly similar.

The manifold I used does have vacuum ports on the rear: five total.

I am not at home so can't tell you the manufacturer / model number. Will find out if you are interested.

Attachments

• EngineRear.JPG
    EngineRear.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
JAC MAC,
the MSD 8579 and the "Ready To Run " both use the same cap # 8431, same size for both.
You can run a 6AL with any distributor, magnetic, points, whatever, just differant wiring procedure.
Tom,
what you have is a Pro Comp, read Chinese, knock off of a Pierce manifold.
Garry Polled, "The Weber Man " of TWM used to own Pierce, so if you get a TWM or Inglese ( Inglese is a TWM ) manifold you get a Pierce. Hope you are following all this !
You have something Chinese so therefore nothing fits, fact.
A Mallory small cap magnetic should fit or alternatively, strike up the welding torch.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Actually it fits quite good in terms if machining and fitting into the V. Defenitely better than my EDELBROCK. But this said, most of them likely are cast in China.

Will do the welding solution. Should be non of a bigger deal.

TOM

JAC MAC,
the MSD 8579 and the "Ready To Run " both use the same cap # 8431, same size for both.
You can run a 6AL with any distributor, magnetic, points, whatever, just differant wiring procedure.
Tom,
what you have is a Pro Comp, read Chinese, knock off of a Pierce manifold.
Garry Polled, "The Weber Man " of TWM used to own Pierce, so if you get a TWM or Inglese ( Inglese is a TWM ) manifold you get a Pierce. Hope you are following all this !
You have something Chinese so therefore nothing fits, fact.
A Mallory small cap magnetic should fit or alternatively, strike up the welding torch.

Mike

Yes caps are same , but bodys are different-see attached pics....re the pro comp comments, yes I agree, wont use anything of theirs, just too much hassle & hopeless to get satisfaction from them in my part of the world.

Last edited:
Finally got my 8579 fit. Thanks to Randy and Mike. Mike you made me aware that basically what i have has the same shape as an Inlese/Pierce intake ( thats also the reason i bought the procomp because it looked so similar) and if Randy made his one fit with a bit filing here and there, i figured why not trying the same. So out the grinder comes and i have a nice 2mm gap now with the disszy fully seated.
Thanks also for sharing your experience with pro comp. I have no complaints on that side, would have had the same issue with a pierce or inglese manifold. customer service, shipping everything was perfect. The cast of the manifold is actually very strong and even ( took me some time to do the port matching).

Thanks
TOM

HI Dave

found it in ebay and than contacted them directly to get an even better price

SBF Ford 289 302 Intake Manifold for Ida Carb | eBay

There was some milling required to clear the thicker valvecover rail on my heads, but this was very straight to be done (30 min).

The ID of the flange is 50mm so slightly bigger than the 48mm of the carbs.

A i said before, don´t think there is a big difference or any difference at all between the Inglese/pierce intakes and theirs. I assume the Inglese/Pierce ones will also be casted in china.
The only thermostat-style one which looks different ,is the one CHuck has on his car. This has been supplied by JIM INGLESE (not the same as INGLESE which is just using his name as a brand name) and i think is superior to the INGLESE/PIERCE design ( no milling required, because it seems to be casted different in that area), have no idea about who the manufacturer of this one is. May be Chuck can shed some light on this.

Initially i wanted a manifold which orients the carbs like on the gurney heads ( fuelinlet towards the inside, 10° canted to the inside and linkage action on pull instead of push), but could not find any.
7518648_600x400.jpg

Other alternative would be the no thermostat manifolds. Basically there are 2 different ones. One with carbs oriented the same way, one row with fuel inlet inside, the other row with fuel inlet outside . This version is to be said to be the most easiest in terms of linkage construction, but also is not as good performancewise, due to the different gas flow path from left to right side in idle to 75% open.
cobra.jpg

There are also non thermostat style manifolds with mirror image carb mounting ( same as on thermostat style manifolds)
weber5007020.jpg

Thanks
TOM

Last edited:
great link Tom.......I am thinking about buying the 289-302 8 stack ready to run for $1395.......cheap. I am worried about all the bad feed back.

CHris

dont know. location of thermosensor-bungs is different on the ones you show.

Dave,
where can you see a complete system for 1395 USD ? think their price for a complete system is ( SBF TK3402) 3800 USD

There is probably a reason for the feedbacks, i can state no problem with them, but this is a one purchase experience only.

TOM

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom, very glad that you got it all worked out. A shared plenum will go a long ways towards taming a very lumpy camshaft and should help with low to midrange performance numbers as well in that the carbs will see a more consistent vacuum signal.

great link Tom.......I am thinking about buying the 289-302 8 stack ready to run for $1395.......cheap. I am worried about all the bad feed back.

Where did you find that price Dave?

Tom, very glad that you got it all worked out. A shared plenum will go a long ways towards taming a very lumpy camshaft and should help with low to midrange performance numbers as well in that the carbs will see a more consistent vacuum signal.

/QUOTE]

Dear Randy, exactly that was my plan, due to the use of the hottest flat tappet cam comp cam provides. With a LSA of 110° and 86° overlap it should still be ok in cooperation with my 11:1CR.
31-336-4 - Magnum

I also have bought a set of Italian IDA´s in pretty rough condition and i have my hands on another italian set which are reworked and are like new. This reworked set has already 51,5mm thottle blades and i´m contemplating modifying the rough set to 51,5mm also ( they need nee shafts and blades anyway).

This would give enough flow even when i´m going to use the engine up to 7500 RPM and i have the nice "made in italy" thingy. :drunk:

TOM

Back