Looking for fuel tanks

Rune

Supporter
I'm looking for fuel tanks to my gt40. I have study for making them in aluminum or steel. But on the original the tanks was in rubber and fit well into the small room. I have not found a good way to make them in metal, and do not know if it is possible to make them in rubber, so if no one have extruded aluminum tube that fit , I feel that this is one part that is difficult to make "home".
Are there some good ideas out there ? or do I have to search for fuel tanks in rubber ?

If many people are interested it is possible to make a tool and get them extruded in alu . Tool cost is prob. between $ 10-20000 so one have to make some tubes to work in that money.

Rune

Hello
There is a simple solution ;
Have them made in Rubber as they where in the past ; just need a drawing and send it to the people in I know from more than 30 years doing this job .
2 Months ago they have built an 57l side rubber tank for my 908 project and they manufacturedit in 2 weeks for 700 euros plus tax ( The tank is perfect fit and fully homologated plus the fact it's safe because full of spécial foam and am sure it will not leak at all !!!)
Same manufacturing on others well know rubber tank company need 2 or more months of fabrication and cost twice !!!

Rune

Supporter
Thanks Michel I will come back to you on message later. I have to look in the drawings to see how they kan be as I want them.
Are your tanks in soft rubber or is it in hard type ?

My tank is in black soft rubber 3 plies plus rinforced on each edges as FIA rules need them
A sticker with FIA registred serie number of fabrication is also vulcanised on top of tank for races scruteneers for same price !!!!!!

I did acad drawing but they are able to start manufacturing with hand sketches and can add any bottom or upper inlet or outlet rubber tube as per your specification ( eventually if you give them an upper alu door fitting they bond it under top skin )
It's a family small factory but so effective ( I know them and work with since 40 years !!)

This is an idea of my first drawing

Attachments

• Réservoir droit.JPG
    Réservoir droit.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 265
a critical problem is gasing do the rubber tanks allow gas to seep thru the membrane and cast a smell. I have ERA plastic tanks and the do smell of gas. since they are not isolated the smell creeps into the cockpit. i have thought of changing to aluminum to git rid of the smell

Lg

Back