Car Wiring Diagram Software

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
I'm starting to think about wiring in the GT40. Far from completing the car but want to identify all of the components and placement of each. I would like to start on wiring diagrams of items I already know and then add as I progress with the build.

The question is: what software do the big companies use to draw diagrams (like the one attached). Is there an add-on to AutoCAD?

I'm reasonably proficient in AutoCAD and used the electrical version but it is not designed for car diagrams in mind. I could draw all the devices and items from scratch identical to the attached diagram, but that would be long and tedious job.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Renato

Attachments

• 12.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 406
Look at Solid Edge Free 2D drafting. I have the full version of the software and have done a few diagrams like this, but I think you have access to the same tools in the free 2D version. This is not high end OEM electrical and harness design, but it allows you to create great looking simpler diagrams.

Renato:
There is a Microsoft program called "Visio"...its part of microsoft office suite...it allows one to do all of the wiring diagrams, and you can search for and import parts from the net and include them in the diagram.
Cheers
Phil

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

I downloaded the Solid Edge and it looks very similar to AutoCAD. The free version didn't seem to have any blocks with automotive symbols. Not sure if the full version has them or you need to create them.
Had limited experience with Visio a while ago.
They are both nice programs but don't seem to have the symbols for automotive diagrams. I guess you can download them from the internet but I was hoping to find a program with auto symbols included and that can make diagrams like the one in attached file. It looks professional and I've seen a lot of auto makers use that format. Not sure if there is a standard or they just look similar?
There is a lot of symbols (blocks) for AutoCAD out there and can be compiled also. If I have to make the symbols I'll probably go with AutoCAD because I'm used to it.

Renato

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I used the Express SCH software from a company that does pcb's. Not fancy, monochrome but purpose designed so it worked for me, you can also construct your own symbols and save them within it's database.
Express SCH
Attached pic gives example (had to reduce it so quality is not as good as the actual).

Dave

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 434
Hi Renato

I'm planning to use LibreOffice / OpenOffice Draw, which is a bit like Visio. It's not a dedicated wiring programme, but can be used to show what you need it to...

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 367
I was originally going to do diagrams on cad.
What ended up happening is I got hold of many different spools of wire in different colours.
They where from several manufactures.

The fuses are labelled and all in one spot
The relays are labelled and all in the same spot.

I have a list (a legend) of colour/circuit designation.

EG

park/L beam-blue/white
h/beam - blue/red
l indicator- green/red
R indicator green/yellow

Power to the relay is red, grounds are black
everything to that h/beam circuit including the switch at the dash is blue/red.

You have an issue with that circuit (h/beam) you are always going to the fuse first.
Its labelled, then you go to the relay ,its labelled, my legend tells me blue/red, look for that wire it is that simple.

My EFI is a full separate system all relays fuses are behind the seat.
Yes all labelled.

If I were doing it again I would have 6 power bars (buzz bars) 2 in the front 2 in the cab 2 in the rear.
1 would be constant and the other ign on power.
If I did that I would bust up the fuse box into front and cabin areas as it saves a lot of doubling back.

Jim

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Renato

I'm planning to use LibreOffice / OpenOffice Draw, which is a bit like Visio. It's not a dedicated wiring programme, but can be used to show what you need it to...

I've never used that software, but have used Visio and OrCad..

BTW, let me know how that horn works.. :lipsrsealed:

I'm an electrical & electronics engineer and its hard to beat a pen and a piece of paper, sorry better still a pencil, rubber and paper, then stick them all together with sellotape (scotch tape). CAD is fine for communicating and sharing data, if you don't have to, then lick the lead and go. K

I use DesignCad for wiring diagrams. You can get an older 2D/3D (V22) version for less than USD $25 on EBay. It has symbols too, but I usually create my own.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Sellotape... now, that brings back some memories...

I like your approach Keith. I'm a electrical engineer also and design control systems on paper first , then transfer to AutoCAD. I enjoy very much the paper napkin approach with a cup of coffee.
The only reason I would like to have a properly drawn diagrams is for documentation purpose.

It seems that the best software is the one you are used to and proficient in.

Renato

Hey Renato sounds like you spent some time in the UK if you know Sellotape? The problem is always the time dedicated to the steep ascent of learning. I agree, paper first, then when it works, make it pretty.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
No, unfortunately, but maybe coming there for Silverstone this year (or next). It's been on my bucket list forever. I was born in Croatia and we used the same word for scotch tape :)

Renato

Back