What is the benefit of this hose?

Pat

Supporter
I'm freshening up the '40's cooling system and a friend suggested I use a Hump Coupler Hose. Realizing that my first inkling that this was some sort of sex toy was probably a function of an old dirty mind, I looked one up in a catalogue.
Does anyone know what if any, benefits these provide?

Attachments

• hump_blue_picture.jpg
    hump_blue_picture.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 238
I've seen them used for intercoolers, intakes and where a hose may tend to slip
(allows a little bending to occur). Not aware of any used in a cooling system though.

Looks to me like those hoses would allow a small amount of movement where two coolant pipes are connected during a heating/cooling cycle. Would definitely be a good idea where the forward coolant pipes interface with the radiator inlet and outlet stubs.

They are for joining two pipes where one has a tendency to move and the other is fixed. The pipes on an engine will move with the torque of the engine. The radiators are fixed in their position. The coupler absorbs that movment(that is the advantage).

Bill

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Bill. Given that the CAV SS water plumbing is bolted to the MONO and the radiator is rubber mounted, it may be a good idea to use them there. I've read elsewhere that some have had radiator leakage due to too rigid a mounting. So far, the cooling system on the CAV (once I had the right thermostat in it) has been trouble free.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
From a water flow point of view-- they might also allow a lesser restriction for coolant movement as they have a space for the water to alter / change directions.

If you decide to use them, don't forget the special clamps they sell for these, as some older types of hose clamps can slice the silicone hose inadvertently and lead to leaks.

Be sure to get them from a trusted vendor as we have seen some cheap ones that do not hold up to temps.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back