Brake and Lamp Check...Reverse Light

Under the heading "Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy"

...Today I found that I failed my California B&L inspection because I don't have a functioning reverse light.

According to the inspector, it has to come on automatically when I shift into reverse....I can't just push a button (Hey, it was worth a try).

I'm sure I can come up with something through trial and error...but, as far as I know, there isnt a provision for a switch somewhere built-in the the ZF, correct?

Has anyone fabbed up a mechanical bracket that worked? (preferably mounted on the trany)

I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, if I don't have to.

And yes, I did do a search of the forum.:)

Ron,

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that Texas doesn't require a backup light. Are you sure that California does? Check with someone else.

-Bob Woods

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
Brake and light inspections in California are based on model year of car - in this case 1966 and newer cars are required to have reverse lamps.

If it was marked as a 1965 car , this would not be the case....

Well,

I'm not sure what the requirements are based on, but the tech who was inspecting my car said that as of a few years ago, all specially constructed vehicles were required to have the backup light.

Maybe he just didn't want to (or couldn't) go into the details, but that's how it was explained to me.

Ron:
There should be a connection for the reverse light on your ZF on the shift translator box on the side.
It goes to ground in reverse.
Good luck
Phil

Phil,

I hope you're right. I'm going to go out and look as soon as the Giants get done laying the wood to the Marlins.

Go Giants!

Attachments

• ZF box parts.jpg
    ZF box parts.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Back