CAV fuel tank removal

Hi can anybody help, I need to remove the fuel tank from my CAV number 117. I did not build the car and as far as I can work it out I must have to remove the front suspension and disconnect the fuel lines, filler hose and the level gauge, will it then pull out forward or is it bolted or clamped in position if so where is it fixed.

Or I could be completely wrong

Thanks

Pat

Supporter
Which side do you need to remove?
I can't speak for the post 100 cars but for the pre-100 cars it goes something like:
Remove the fiberglass cladding on the side of the sponson. There are sheet metal screws on the door sill and underneath the car. If it's the right side, pull out the battery box. On the left side, the toolbox carpeted fiberboard. Then you'll see it's got two mounting screws as well as the fuel connects. They all need to come out. On the sill, pull back the carpet, remove the access plate and disconnect the fuel level sensing lead. Then pull off the front wheel, disconnect the anti-roll bar and upright. Unbolt the shock and spread the A-Arms. Then unscrew the upper stainless access panel and you will probably need to cut the sealant to remove the lower fiberglass panel. Then look at the cell. If the chin is not resting on the bottom of the sponson, I'd bet your cell is leaking from the front. If it is OK, then unbolt the cell mounts, remove the cell clamps to the filler tube and finesse the cell out the front wheel well.
All this should take about an hour. If you plan to put it back in, PM me. That part is a little more complicated and there is a trick to it... It's far easier to discuss once you've seen how everything goes together.
I've had mine in and out 7 times. It's not fun but not that difficult. Putting it back in is the difficult part. Hint: before you reinstall, make sure the fuel foam access plates have the gaskets in place. Hope that helps.
I think the UK CAV distributor is The Cambridge Motor Company Ltd
T: +44 01763 260818
[email protected]
www.cambridgemotorcompany.co.uk

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have had to have my driver's side tank out a couple of times too for repair. Yes, the front suspension needs to come off and the tank pulled forward. It is (I am told) pretty straight forward but not a "nice" job. The more difficult part is getting back and getting the filler tube connected up.

Pat

Supporter
Michael, I've found that one must insure the chin of the bladder rests on the bottom of the sponson. If the mounting has it with a gap underneath, it can eventually separate the bottom flap on the fuel cell due to slosh and the strain of the laden cell.
If that's the case, you can lower the mounting holes or put a shim under the cell. Also, you need to place a flat piece of plastic or metal under the cell when you are struggling to refit the filler hose onto the cell. If not, you may scrape the bottom of the cell on the sponson, weakening the chin flap.

Hi, Thanks for all your help and comments, Michael I believe you have a post 100 CAV car does the fiberglass sill panel still have to come off like Veek mentioned.
Sounds easy when you have done the job a few times.

Regards
Michael

Michael, yes the sill panel was taken off on my car. The problem that I had was that the bonding of the tank ends was coming unstuck - only marginally but sufficient for fuel to drip down when the tanks were full and the back of the car elevated - as when on a rolling road. I managed to find a sealant used in the aircraft industry to effect similar repairs on aircraft flexible tanks and this seems to have done the job, so far!

Pat, my gosh, seven times in/out with the fuel cell? We're you doing it just for exercise?

I'm impressed with your determination and fortitude. After the third or fourth time I think I would be considering putting the tank in the passenger seat.....

Pat

Supporter
Cliff, like the fish sandwiches served at Sea World, it's the result from being a slow learner...

Back