Fuel pumps CAV

I have an early CAV GT40 that has Facet pumps. They are not keeping up with the 347 with stack injection on the car.
My pumps will be mounted above the tanks. Does anybody have any experience and advice as to which pump will keep up with my fuel needs as well as pull from a tank below the pump?
Will Holley Gerotors pull gas from a tank mounted below it?
I read the following post:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-fueling-electrics-engine-cooling/39392-fuel-pumps.html
I appreciate any help and information you can give!
Thanks, Gene Menger

I have an early CAV GT40 that has Facet pumps. They are not keeping up with the 347 with stack injection on the car.
My pumps will be mounted above the tanks. Does anybody have any experience and advice as to which pump will keep up with my fuel needs as well as pull from a tank below the pump?
Will Holley Gerotors pull gas from a tank mounted below it?
I read the following post:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-fueling-electrics-engine-cooling/39392-fuel-pumps.html
I appreciate any help and information you can give!
Thanks, Gene Menger

I have no knowledge of this particular setup so keep that in mind, but several of us hashed out something similar a while back. What I ended up doing is contacting a reputable fuel pump manufacturer (actually, I talked to a couple) and got their suggestion. What it came down to was connecting the tanks with a one way valve, adding a low pressure Holley that sits low and feeds a swirl pot (most of your starvation issues are now gone with that BTW), which feeds a high pressure pump.

Setup looks like this:

Attachments

• LowPressureSideSmall.jpg
    LowPressureSideSmall.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 292
  • HighPressureSideSmall.jpg
    HighPressureSideSmall.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 276
Darrin,
After reading your post, I'm wondering if the problem lies with the fuel regulator. After the Facet pumps, the fuel line passes through a Malpassi non adjustable regulator, I think this acts as a one way valve (these are restrictive and will be changed to 3/8 one way valves. then to a swirl pot to a high pressure pump, and to to a fuel regulator (Mallory) to the fuel rails.. I researched the Fuel reg, and found the adjustment range is 3-12 psi. I am now thinking my problem is with the regulator not providing enough psi. I will take a fuel pressure test and find out what it is. Appreciate the help!

Thanks for all the help. You have to be a detective to figure out what previous owners did and did not do on these cars. Without GT40s.com myself and others would be scratching around forever! So glad you're here.

Back