Battery location

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,

Any ideas on battery placement?

It seems most of you have the battery in the back, recessed in a box. Did anyone install the battery up front between cooling pipes. Can it be done and do the advantages of better weight distribution (if any) out way the complexity of long cables?
0?
What is the usual battery size used in a GT40?

Regards,
Renato

Renato,
I put mine in the front. The only long wire is to the starter. Everything after that are branches to the two fuse boxes. I put most of the relays needed into one box, and the usual wires(turn signals, radio, and the like) in another. There are a few circuits(with relays) at the front that branch off the battery, because there was no sense in running the wires to the back and then to the front. It is a simple L tray arrangement with hold down straps to a cross bar.

P7270464_zps30cddc05.jpg

P7270463_zps5ca34195.jpg

Have to remember that if you put everything in the rear it will influence weight distribution. The weight distribution is heavy to the rear as it is. A moot point if you go with Lithium Ion. I tried to balance the weight as much as possible. Put the electric water pump up front as well.

Bill

The weight distribution is heavy to the rear as it is.

Something worth pointing out at this point and a miss-assumption I made was that the 'ideal' is a 50:50 weight distribution. Not I found out later true, apparently a RWD car with 50:50 weight distribution will under-steer on corner entry. For this reason race cars run between 40:60 and 35:65, the originals were 38:62 so pretty much bang on.

As a result of this I've stopped worrying so much about trying to bring weight forward and instead trying to ensure it's balanced side to side and as low as possible.

In the case of the battery I think I'm going to run mine in front of the engine sat against the firewall - but I've got room there. :)

Here is someone's forward battery I pictured at Stoneleigh this year (sorry I don't know who's car it is).
20140504_121655.jpg

20140504_121702.jpg

If you put the battery in the front, you may be able to use the space saved in the back for a slightly longer fuel tank. Guess this wouldn't swing it either way, but may be something to think about...

The DRB's use the full length of the side pods for their tank to begin with. So, if the rear is a choice, it is a matter of finding some space. The top of both sills is pretty crowded as it is, with the swirl tank, the 6 point cage, and the upper tailing arm. So the only other place in the back is under the sills with no access. I altered my engine bay paneling from a 45 degree slant, to a tray.

P1010105-1.jpg

Even with this there is virtually no access if it were to go there. I did put my fuel pumps there and they are tight to get to. Early on into the build I was going distributorless and the coils were mounted there also.

P1010035.jpg

I felt the rear wasn't a realistic choice and opted for the front.

Bill

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the great tips guys!

David, interesting point! I thought 50:50 is ideal for any race or street car.

I'm leaning towards the front location as my engine is heavier than a SBF.

Any suggestion as far as Amp-Hour and CCR rating? Also, any good experiences with a particular brand.

Regards,
Renato

Yep marketing at work! I was thinking about all sorts of ways to try and move stuff around and now I'm not going to bother. :)

As for Ah and I presume you mean CCA not CCR it depends on your starter (mine is 2kw so needs a CA of 150A) but I figured about 40-60Ah and I wouldn't worry overly much about CCA as long as the HCA / CA is fine as its unlikely I'm going to fire up the GT40 at -18C but highly likely at 26C!

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yes, CCA...

I have been listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival too much...

Renato

Back