CAV GT Cooling System Flush

I've searched and haven't found any help. Need to flush the coolant system on my GT. Engine is a SBF. What's the best. easiest way to get rid of the old and put in new anti freeze in my car?

Pat

Supporter
I've searched and haven't found any help. Need to flush the coolant system on my GT. Engine is a SBF. What's the best. easiest way to get rid of the old and put in new anti freeze in my car?

I drained mine by pulling the lower hose on the radiator into a large aluminum foil baking pan you get at the supermarket. You can use that to put it back in the jugs from the new coolant to recycle. This stuff is toxic to pets so you don't want to let it flow into the driveway. Some parts stores will take the used coolant, others won't so you may need to check with your local waste management company as to disposal sites.
I also have a Prestone flush kit that I run until the water is clear. Drain again. Then fill with the 50/50 mix add a bottle of Water Wetter then "burp" the system until the air is out and you're all set. I have a previous post on the burping process that I use but others have their own methods.

Hope that helps.

Pat

Supporter
It takes some doing but works, I slide the radiator hose back enough to start to drain and then when the pan is full, I slide it back. The process is repeated several times. I can get about 5 1/2 liters or a gallon and a half a pan. But you can always jack the car up and get a 12 liter plastic dishpan or oil catch bucket and then use the foil for when you lower the car to get the last of the coolant.

I like the excitement of the foil approach though. At my age the thrills come easily.

Same as Pat. I put the CAV on my driveway (with about a 8 degree slope) nose down and drain at the front rad hose. Takes a bit of time but works well.

After refilling I've had good luck getting the air out of the system with two methods.

1. Use an Airlift II tool to burp the system at the header tank,
2. When she's up to temp (therm open) drive up and down the steepest hill I can find (about 20 degrees) a few times. Re-burp with the Airlift.

Seems to work well, never had any cooling problems. Just my $.02.

Thanks guys for your inputs. I got what I need to do a proper job. Cliff, unlike in Puget Sound where you can find a hill in either direction from your driveway, I'll have to look around here in AZ!

Finally got around to flushing the cooling system on my CAV. Followed the recommendations from the above members. Everything went well and I have to say the Airlift II worked great. The II really made the job quick and easy. Again guys, thanks for your suggestions.

Do you have to remove the thermostat for the Airlift II to work properly? It seems with the thermostat closed you wouldn't be able to remove all the trapped air. Any way to finish burping the system after the engine heats up and the thermostat opens? Thanks.

I didn't remove the thermostat, and was able to top off the car after running to temp. After running the car until the thermostat opens, let it cool and then check to see if the filling tank will take any additional coolant. I had to add about a pint.

Last edited:
Back