Anyone using a Mallory Fuel Pump

Waiting on a RCR GT40 Mk1 kit to be shipped and looking at fuel pump options for a carbureted 302 block bored and stroked to 363. Seems that a lot of builders have used the red top Faucet fuel pumps. Does anyone have experience / advice on the Mallory Ignition 4150 fuel pumps, 140 gph, 12 psi which is a Gerotor design?

John, no experience with the Mallory stuff but as stated I do run the Red Top Facets...although I've been told they differ so if you go that route insure they are pumping at the level you'll need because they are different.

Another pump to look into, (although it was mentioned to me to use on my Weber Carb'd engine) was Carter 4600's. These are low pressure pump high volume pumps.

Hope this helps.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I run a 12V Mallory Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter in my Cobra replica. It has been trouble free and reliable. The only thing I notice is that it draws quite a bit of current and at times seems to "surge", which is reflected by the movement of the pointer on the voltage meter.

I'm not sure that my pump is the model you asked about...will make a trip to the place where the Cobra is stored tomorrow to find that out.

Either way, I am much more likely to recommend Mallory's fuel pump and fuel filter than I am their ignition system...my ignition system had to be completely rebuilt twice to get the car running again. There's no reason for that and I'll never buy another Mallory ignition product again...but that's not what this thread is about, it's just my attempt to show that I am not necessarily a Mallory fan through-and-through.

Cheers!

Doug

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
2thdoc
FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Mallory but since inception my fuel injection system\layout is designed to use them.

Also, I use a different pump than what you inquire about: mine are #5110 Comp Pump 110 FI series gerotor pumps (2) and have replaced and\or rebuilt both pumps multiple times. Most common are gasket and seal leaks but at least one was a seized gerotor. For the cost of these pumps and the minimal miles\hours of use, I see no reason they should have issues but they do. As a low pressure pump the Mallory may be more dependable, I can't reply to that.

Next re-engineer of the fuel system I'll probably switch to Aeromotive for which I've had zero issues in my offroad application.

Tim

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Waiting on a RCR GT40 Mk1 kit to be shipped and looking at fuel pump options for a carbureted 302 block bored and stroked to 363. Seems that a lot of builders have used the red top Faucet fuel pumps. Does anyone have experience / advice on the Mallory Ignition 4150 fuel pumps, 140 gph, 12 psi which is a Gerotor design?

When I got my Pantera race car, it had one of these on it. It has worked very well with a Holley 4bbl and it is quiet.
I am now using it with a set of Webers. Yet to see how that goes, but I did change the fuel pressure regulator so the Webers wouldn't be overwhelmed.

The unit is so quiet, I bought another one and replaced the LP Holley pump on my GT40 with it. Much quieter than a noisy Holley or Delco I've tried and I've had no problem with the Mallory on either car.

They aren't cheap though...

FWIW,
Kirby

Thanks Jimmy, Paul, Doug, Tim and Kirby for your feedback and input. Always some pluses and minuses. I've seen a number of the original-appearing Stewart Warner fuel pumps listed on eBay recently. Is there a reason for me to consider them instead?

Back