Safety of fuel filler area.

Taliking about the hose connecting the gas cap to the tank. On my setup, I have a romote keyless entry that due to space concerns is going on the passenger side in that area along with a small fuse box. I started thinking about electrical fires and the potential for catastrophic failure in this area if the fuel hose was compromised by fire. So, I ended up wrapping the fuel line in high performance insulation good to 2000 degrees or so before combustion then wrapping that with metal tape to hold it into place. Was just curious if others do this sort of thing or if I'm really being paranoid. Thing is I've seen a replica consumed by flame so I don't think it's uncommon. My guess is electrical fires happen to probably 5 or 10 percent of the people. Although it us even money if it would happen in this area if it did, and maybe one chance in four or so it would be able to burn through the hose I was thinking that's still an unacceptable risk.

Note that the wiring is obviously not finished and I sure won't leave it looking anything like this. Just wanted to show the area I meant and what I did to protect things.

Attachments

• 2015-03-31 23.01.58.jpg
    2015-03-31 23.01.58.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 359
Hi Darrin,
For UK & Europe road registration and European race regulations, the fuel system has to be completely isolated from the passenger compartment by a sealed bulkhead. Not only is this stopping any potential fire hazard, it also keeps any fuel vapours our of the cabin
Attached is how I did mine, shown with the access panel removed.
Personally I would be reconsidering doing this area. Best to get it right now!
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• P5192134aa.JPG
    P5192134aa.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 362
Hey Darrin, being honest I'd keep the electrics well away from the fuel filler and tank area. I know rewiring is a real pain. If there are no fuses or wiring in that area, then it is impossible for an electrical fire to start there; with wiring and fusing in that area you can instantly see the source of ignition. Electrics always fail at some point, they can smoulder, they can spark, fuses are melting bits of wire..... K

Pat

Supporter
I'd also move the electrics away from the fuel filler and seal the area from the passenger compartment. I don't see how you have the filler itself but there could be a risk from fuel spills during fill up or "burping" of the fuel cell as the air is displaced from the tank. You really don't want anything electrical to have the remote possibility of fuel contact.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Would your insulation soak up any spills of fuel and then hoold them right where you do not want them?

Ian

I am planning to seal that area off. I suppose it could all be moved but about the only place I could move it to is behind the passenger seat at the bottom and that will mean a lot of rework and even more effort to wire everything coming from the dash all the way back there. There just isn't any good place to wire it up from with the AC and all of the rest in the way.

Would your insulation soak up any spills of fuel and then hoold them right where you do not want them?

Ian

The insulation is completely wrapped in metal tape and the top is sealed off so if something did spill it wouldn't get here easily. Maybe if there was a lot and it seeped in somehow.

Hi Darrin, to flip it on its head, can you think of a more 'risky' place than where the cables and fuses are presently?

Sorry, there are so many reasons not to put the electrics there, I deal with electrics and electronics every day,... don't have them anywhere near fuel or fuel vapour. K

Hi Darrin, to flip it on its head, can you think of a more 'risky' place than where the cables and fuses are presently?

Sorry, there are so many reasons not to put the electrics there, I deal with electrics and electronics every day,... don't have them anywhere near fuel or fuel vapour. K

Well, a few, but not many I agree. That's why I made the hose impervious to normal fire. It would take a blow torch and some dedication to get through that insulation.

Fumes though from spillage still concern me and that's why I was wondering if others used this area for anything. I'll probably look to move it but I'm not sure where other than all of the way back behind the passenger seat which will mean extending each wire.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you can't eliminate the vapors then vent them. Fuel vapor is heavier than air so airflow from the top towards the bottom and out of the car would be my goal in this case. Think boat engine cover ventilation or something like that.

Better yet, make a one piece fill tube like in the picture. That way the only fitting is below the passenger compartment where the hose connection into the fuel tank is.

Back