Fire suppression tubing question

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What is the best means of cutting Dekabon tubing? I recently received my SPA multi-port system that uses 6 nozzles, but no mention in the manual as to proper or improper cutting techniques for the tubing. I would assume the end must be properly dressed after cutting, while avoiding crimping or rough edges, which eliminates a fine-tooth saw blade, or tubing cutter (which reduces the ID of the tube before actually cutting through it).

Any experience or advice on this?

Pat

Supporter
On the Pegasus Racing site they say it can be easily cut with a tubing cutter, wire cutters, or even a shop knife. I'm not sure why a sharp fine toothed hacksaw wouldn't allow you to leave the aluminum core clean enough to use the fittings. You could also use a fine abrasive cutting wheel.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This may be a little too late, but I always use steel tubing for my fire systems.. Yes it weighs more, but it's not easily compromised in a fire or a crash.. Seems most of the systems I have bought over the last 20 years comes with a spool of aluminum tubing. I have quite a collection of it and not sure why I even save it.. Not really fit for anything that I can think of...

I am not familiar with Dekabon but I would encourage you to look at the temperature operating range to determine its suitability..

Howard Jones

Supporter
Last edited:
Back