Mounting radiator to frame & transaxle?

Would using the frame and transaxle to mount a radiator be a bad idea, assuming the transaxle and engine is solid mounted to the frame?

I'm assuming the frame won't move and since the driveline is solid bolted to the frame it also can't go anywhere, so I think as long as it's rubber mounted at the transaxle mount it should be okay?

It's obviously not ideal from a mounting perspective, but it does provide the best cooling and packing setup.

Alex,
I was faced with the same problem when I mounted my coolers. I will post how I did it tonight when I get home. Requires a little fabrication and imagination, but easily done. I think what you need to concentrate on is not hooking to things that vibrate themselves and look to secondary points to mount from. These will atenuate the little vibration that will be present. What size coolers are you planing to use. Will they fit the openings at the rear? Is you rotating assembly balanced?

Bill

by radiator I don't mean an oil cooler, I literally mean radiator.

I.e., big honking thing that normally goes in the front. So no, not as easy as you think, especially since I have 2 of them in the back, one on each side of the transaxle....

917_in_progress_zpsrytx0j73.jpg

My CAV #99 has a "c" channel supported off the RBT trans-axle. There is a strip of rubber pad at the base of the channel for both coolers to sit on. Holes are drilled into the upright sides of the "c" channel to attache springs into to hold the coolers in place in the channel looping over the top of the cooler assembles. Springs are similar to the ones holding the two exhaust tail pipes to there bracket aft of the collectors. Very simple. There is no side movement as the in-out lines allow very little movement. Both coolers are placed just in front of the rear clam shell vent holes to get all the air flow that passes out the back of the engine bay. Five years and about 5,000 miles later and all is still good. Can move them about when cleaning and detailing with little force, all is well.

Last edited:
Back