Electric radiator fan free-wheel speed...at speed

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Has anybody got any experience or knowledge of what is happening to a typical electric radiator fan while the car is being driven at high speed? My concern is the un-powered fan speed, being driven by the flow of air through a well-sealed radiator, and if that speed would exceed the manufacturers design and become damaged or damage something. I'm wondering if I need to remove the fans prior to a track day (which would save some weight), or if I can simply leave them on the shroud and not worry about it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've had dual 12" fans on my SCCA Camaro running in A/S at 160 mph without any troubles with the fans... However, I did have some ignition system problems until I put the fans on a relay. Running them through a HD SPST switch, I turned the fans on just after taking the checkers on the straight-Away at about 150 MPH so they would be on during the cool down lap. My ignition system started cutting out (Mallory Uni-Light) then suddenly stopped altogether and I had to be flat-towed to the scales post race.. Long story short - those fans made GREAT generators and put HUGE dirty voltage on the 12v buss... I wish I would have found that problem before I nuked the second ignition module... ((Sigh))...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Randy. That was my other concern in noticing the voltage rise on the system once the motors started acting like generators. But that was only a secondary observation by pure chance, so your note is very applicable.

Back