what size radiator

Hello guys, I am after a aluminium rad but wandered what size core to go for, I am building a 351 Windsor and aiming for around 400 horse, also where is the best place to get one and what price would I be expected to pay.
regards Lee.

Lee,
Don't know if this will help in the UK. I have a 351/408 Windsor with AFR 205 heads and I have a Griffin radiator. It is 3"x19"x26" top entry and bottom exit with a steep slope toward the front. Those are my inside measurements. I run an electric water pump(return to engine) of 35GPM flow and on cruising I don't use the dual radiator fans at all. Only if setting at a red light, or constant stop and go traffic. With air temps even in 90 degree + range the temps stay in the 150-170 degree range. I have a thermostat at about 150 for the water pump only, for if I forget to turn them on manually. Guess why I added that!! Mine has been in for some time so call them for a quote.

Bill

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Lee,

The ally rad on my GTD is 14"x29"x2''. I have had no problems with cooling due to boiling up even in 40deg heat in France.

For suppliers try the usual suspects -
Southern GT Southern GT - Manufacturer of the new Southern GT40 Replica-8hrdssht8dtsppcqcvhq0p7ch1
Tornado Tornado Sports Cars
GT Forte GT40 Replica cars, kits and parts
Wealden Engineering Wealden Engineering Development

Prices around the £400 - £450 mark

When you mount the radiator use the soft rubber mountings which have a thread at each end. The radiator should be effectively floating so that any movement in the chassis does not deform it. Do not mount it rigidly as this will make it leak.

Fit the 2 biggest fans you can and make sure that they are well sealed to the radiator to ensure they are moving the air through the rad. I use two large Spal fans mounted behind the radiator as suckers.

Use a deep nostril (twin nostril or one big vent). This makes a big difference to the air flow through the rad and keeps the hot air away from the front bulkhead and you. Seal the gaps as best you can. These things get hot enough in summer so anything you can do to keep heat out of the cabin is good. It also helps with front end lift as a bonus.

Cheers
Mike

Hi
I had my ally rad made using the old leaky doking rad as supplied with my GTD by a company in Leicester for £330 inc VAT with a years gte.It was at the end of 2011. Ran in the car since with no issues .Runs at about 85degrees. Rising a bit if in slow traffic. (Leicester rads auto cooling centre.0116 2465500 )
Still got the old rad but i am in Leicester.

Attachments

• CIMG2145.jpg
    CIMG2145.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 376
  • CIMG2149.jpg
    CIMG2149.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 324
  • CIMG2152.jpg
    CIMG2152.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 301
Back