New battery option/technology

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a new battery (concept) that is fixing to be launched. It is called the OHM battery. I thought there may be some interest here on the forum. I am including emails i received and some of the electronics world feed back on it. There are several here on the forum that have gone for lighter stronger batteries. Well here is one that goes a little further. It is called the OHM battery. The batteries are LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate.) A form of super capacitor. I have seen these in the RC community in small batteries for the drones and airplanes. Check it out.

Ohm has worked up a drop-in replacement for car battery

Ohm Wants to Replace your Dull and Heavy Car Battery with a Light and Smart One

Smarter, lighter car battery replaces lead acid types - Electronics Eetimes

Here are a couple of emails I received.

I just wanted to give you a quick update on Ohm's launch date. Coming up on this Monday, August 17th, we're launching an Indiegogo campaign and you'll be able to pre-order Ohm. After the campaign goes live but before we publicize it, I'll send another email to give you first dibs on our early bird specials. Most people will end up paying $199 for Ohm, but we'll have a limited quantity available for $169 for our early backers. If you've got friends who might want to get in early too, you can just forward this email and have them sign up on our site: Ohm - The car battery is finally evolving. You can also share to Facebook or Twitter by clicking on these buttons:

We're excited about finally launching and I hope you are too!

Until soon,
Hunter
Co-founder, Ohm

Hey there!

Ohm is now LIVE on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ohm-a-smarter-car-battery/x/11536342
We've got a limited number of early bird deals plus a bunch more information about Ohm and its development process. We think Ohm is a really cool product and that it represents a fundamentally new approach to an old industry. I hope you'll consider backing us and becoming a part of that!

-Hunter
Co-founder, Ohm

Hey there!
Well, we've had a pretty insane past couple of days. On Monday, we launched our Indiegogo campaign and funded half of it in a single day. We're HUGELY appreciative of your support! Yesterday, we presented at Y Combinator's demo day.
The 50 Startups That Launched At Y Combinator Summer 2015 Demo Day 1 | TechCrunch
It went great, and we're excited at how fast things are moving! Speaking of things moving quickly, we're getting close to running out of our early bird deals on our Indiegogo campaign,
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ohm-a-smarter-car-battery#/story
so definitely grab one before the price goes up. Thanks again for your support!

-Hunter
Cofounder, Ohm

If you have an interest contact them and get their take on it. I have no ties or financial interest in this product. Just the messenger.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It appears to weigh the same but has less cranking amps than the Braile. It is a lot cheaper.

Braile GU1R
Weight6.4lbs / 2.9kg
Length7.68" / 195mm
Width5.13" / 140mm
Height7.13" / 182mm
PCA947
Ah 13
LAH 39
Right Side Positive

MSRP $579.99

Howard Jones

Supporter
How long can this system set without use and retain its charge. This is pretty important for track cars and to a lesser extent for week end toys. I would think a month would be minimum, really, it needs to be able to sit for 90 days and retain 90% of it's cranking strength to be useful for these kinds of cars.

This is what I think is the best for my cars now. The one in my GT40 is 10 years old and still going strong. The OHM unit is 20 pound lighter, That's no small thing. Very good price per pound saved IMHO.

Odyssey PC925 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Great new idea, nice and light, medium small, I guess we'll see how it is received.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a new battery (concept) that is fixing to be launched. It is called the OHM battery. I thought there may be some interest here on the forum. I am including emails i received and some of the electronics world feed back on it. There are several here on the forum that have gone for lighter stronger batteries. Well here is one that goes a little further. It is called the OHM battery. The batteries are LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate.) A form of super capacitor. I have seen these in the RC community in small batteries for the drones and airplanes. Check it out.

Ohm has worked up a drop-in replacement for car battery

Ohm Wants to Replace your Dull and Heavy Car Battery with a Light and Smart One

Smarter, lighter car battery replaces lead acid types - Electronics Eetimes

Here are a couple of emails I received.

I just wanted to give you a quick update on Ohm's launch date. Coming up on this Monday, August 17th, we're launching an Indiegogo campaign and you'll be able to pre-order Ohm. After the campaign goes live but before we publicize it, I'll send another email to give you first dibs on our early bird specials. Most people will end up paying $199 for Ohm, but we'll have a limited quantity available for $169 for our early backers. If you've got friends who might want to get in early too, you can just forward this email and have them sign up on our site: Ohm - The car battery is finally evolving. You can also share to Facebook or Twitter by clicking on these buttons:

We're excited about finally launching and I hope you are too!

Until soon,
Hunter
Co-founder, Ohm

Hey there!

Ohm is now LIVE on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ohm-a-smarter-car-battery/x/11536342
We've got a limited number of early bird deals plus a bunch more information about Ohm and its development process. We think Ohm is a really cool product and that it represents a fundamentally new approach to an old industry. I hope you'll consider backing us and becoming a part of that!

-Hunter
Co-founder, Ohm

Hey there!
Well, we've had a pretty insane past couple of days. On Monday, we launched our Indiegogo campaign and funded half of it in a single day. We're HUGELY appreciative of your support! Yesterday, we presented at Y Combinator's demo day.
The 50 Startups That Launched At Y Combinator Summer 2015 Demo Day 1 | TechCrunch
It went great, and we're excited at how fast things are moving! Speaking of things moving quickly, we're getting close to running out of our early bird deals on our Indiegogo campaign,
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ohm-a-smarter-car-battery#/story
so definitely grab one before the price goes up. Thanks again for your support!

-Hunter
Cofounder, Ohm

If you have an interest contact them and get their take on it. I have no ties or financial interest in this product. Just the messenger.

Bill

Sorry guys, not going to happen in production. I've worked pretty extensively in the lithium battery world for the last few years and can tell you that price point is NOT attainable in the near future. 350F 2.7V caps are $30ish alone, then you have the LiFeO4 cylindrical cells plus BMS (battery management system), molded case, and assembly. I don't know if they have some grant money and are using the seed money to bridge the gap but even the manufacturers I worked with that make their own cells in massive volume can't get close to that.

This company makes some nice stuff domestically from custom cells sourced in asia (that's where most, if not all, LiFe04 cells come from)

Lithionics | All the Amps, All the Volts, All the Time

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My Odyssey quit after about two years. It was periodically charged on their charger, too. I am putting a regular lead-acid battery back in there and keeping it on a maintainer.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My Odyssey quit after about two years. It was periodically charged on their charger, too. I am putting a regular lead-acid battery back in there and keeping it on a maintainer.

Jim
That was my thinking too

I got a £68 Lead acid from the local factors

Been starting the car now for 9 years

Never even put a charger on it - purely done when I start the engine and drive - even over winter still starts the car fairly quickly

Ian

I have to say, my odyssey has been great. It fits where I want it (less than half the size of the equivalent lead acid), it's in the boot, so at the end of about 4M of cabling, it's been in the car 5 years, never been charged, even during the winter 6 months lay up and has never failed.

It's going to fail now, isn't it.

I use a shorai and battery cutoff switch. have one in the Gt40 and one in the Lotus, no issues and less than 5 lbs.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

I have to say that I have an Odyssey battery in my 40 which was purchased in 2007 during my build and it is still working beautifully in 2016.

I use an intelligent charger once every 2-3 months for a few days and the 40 starts easily every time.
Best battery I have ever had.

Dimi

I have an Odyssey PC680 that I use in a variety situations...powering a garden tractor, powering a chemical sprayer, powering the air while sitting on a shelf. I have gone months and months without touching it, and it has worked every time.

The only failure I've had with it was when it was in my GT and the fan ran on endlessly. Not the battery's fault.

I know that there are those that say the quality has gone down, but that hasn't been my personal experience.

Back