High torque starter

I have found a high torque compact starter at Sumitt for up to 18:1 compression ratio. They have two choices for the 302. One has 1/4'" offset and the other is 3/8" offset. I am not sure what the offset means so I am not sure which to order. Hopefully this will lessen the hot start issue. Anyone used one of these?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Make sure to run a good ground strap from the chassis directly to one of the bolts that retain the starter motor..
I can't tell you how many hot-start issues have been resolved by replacing the starter AND running the additional ground strap.
Why replace the starter?
Many times the starters windings have fried due to pulling such high current levels due to poor grounding..

I did find out what the offset means. It is the distance between the flywheel and the mounting plate. So it is off with the current starter to measure whether it 3/8 or 3/4.

Measured the offset from the face of the mounting to the face of the flywheel and it is 1" not 3/4 or 3/8 so now what?

The adapter plate for the 016 transaxle is 5/8" making the total offset 1". I have discovered searching this site that the starter is from a Toyota truck of all things. I have not found anything other than an OE starter. If I ever take the transaxle out I could have the plate machined down a 1/4" If that would not weaken it too much, but I have a long time to consider that.

Tony,

I am currently replacing my starter. My engine is a Ford 347, with a UN16 mounting plate, and like you I measured my offset at 5/8" (my flywheel is 157 tooth).

Yesterday, I confirmed with my original engine builder that the Powermaster starter motor that I am replacing (due to failure) is a PowerMax type 9162. This is a 3/4" offset starter. For this application I am told that I could use the same type, or upgrade to a type 9603; this is a Powermaster Mastertorque which generates higher torque than my current. I have just ordered the latter option.

Regards
Ian

My mounting plate is 5/8'" thick and the total distance to the flywheel to the face of the mounting plate is 1". Is this how you measured your total offset? Tony

Back