brake light pressure switch

I've replaced 3rd brakelight pressure switch ECHlin sl147. The issue is LED bulbs
I started have problems once i changed over to LED bulb. I've been told the switch is good for 2-3 amps. I would think an an incandescent bulb would draw more amperage than an LED BUlb

I found a break light switch rated to 35 amps that will be an easy retrofit. Came from a company here in Connecticut ENGINEERED COMPONENTS INC.
hopefully this will be the last switch i have to replace. $40.00 not cheap
LLoyd

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Lloyd,

I think I would have called Echlin about the poor quality of the switches... Your experience is not consistent with many others nor does it make sense..
The LEDs draw maybe 10% of what the incandescent bulbs do...
As an example - I just replaced all of the 12v ceiling lights in my camper and went from 10 amps down to just over 1 amp..

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Assuming a 15mA per LED, and you have 12 LEDs in a single lamp, then that's about 1/3rd of an amp for both brake lights together...significantly less than an incandescent bulb.

That's all based on 12 VDC for each LED, but I'm guessing they are a series/parallel circuit to prevent high current draw being you only need about 3 VDC to light an individual LED up (making the draw even less). That kind of current draw should be well within any multimeter range, so you should be able to verify it without popping the fuse on the meter.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
LED's used a lot less current that incandescent bulbs, period. I have had mixed results with brake pressure switches. The part I don't like is opening up the brake fluid system to change them. So..................................I did this. Later when I installed a Tilton peddle set I did it like the last one.

Miniature Snap Action Momentary Switch w/ Long Lever - SPDT : 30-2040

Lots of options for snap action momentary switches. And you can replace one with out disturbing the brake fluid system.

By the way I think the Japanese electrical parts for Hondas and Toyotas are better than Chinese (damn near everybody else in the aftermarket) or maybe try German stuff like VW or Audi if you stay with the pressure switch.

Attachments

• HPIM2004.jpg
    HPIM2004.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 272
  • HPIM2005.jpg
    HPIM2005.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 237
  • HPIM2154.jpg
    HPIM2154.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Back