physical size is a big factor
so from experience is the 5lb adequate
or do we with the bigger the better and get the shoe horn out
stuff the bigger tank in
any brand recommendations

Lloyd

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
No experience here, but don't some sanctioning bodies require specific sizes for different types of cars? I went with the 10 lb bottle (4 L), which takes a good bit of precious real estate, but my lack of experience led to perhaps some over sizing as added insurance.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I asked a few real race car owners the same question and settled on the following. First if you have the room and the weight issue isn't one then go with a 10 pounder. Then there's this.

A closed car, both engine room and cockpit will contain the fire suppressant and therefor it follows less suppressant might be required to maintain the given concentration level needed to KEEP the fire out long enough for the ignition source to cool off or be extinguished. A GT40 is a good example.

A open car like a T70 Lola will "vent" retardant out the top and bottom at a higher rate than it's GT40 cousin. Here a 10 pounds might just save a car that would have re flashed due to the lesser amount of retardant dissipating.

My opinion (remember its free) is if you can't get the fire out in the first 10-15 seconds or so the car is going to be lost. A 5 pounder will put out quite a big fire in the engine room so it's more than likely enough. I did see a accidental discharge once and 5 pounds is a LOT of retardant in a small prototype. If the fire has advanced to the cockpit from the engine room the car is lost. Get out and call the insurance company.

Lastly in a GT40 or a SLC for example my fear is a fuel leak lighting off in the engine room. So maybe TWO 5 pounders might be the best approach. One installed as normal, two discharges in the engine room and one in the cockpit with the second system installed with all the discharges in the engine room. This way a engine room fire can be put out without fogging the cockpit. You could fire the system while moving in the case of a engine room fire, thus saving a lot of time.

Back