High pressure fuel pump life span

I have noticed that my high pressure fuel pump(FI) has been slow to come up to pressure(gauge in rear window). The other day after sitting for 6 days it would not come on at all. Then later that day it came up but was slow. Now I notice that it doesn't seem to run as fast as it did. It gets the pressure up but sounds a little slow. Is it about to give up the ghost, or does it sound like it has picked up some trash in the line. About a year ago a piece of the AN fuel line to the pump lodged in the pump and stopped it cold, but has performed well since til now. This pump is an external Aero unit and it is not easy to get to. Suggestions?? What is the average life expectancy of these type pumps.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill - I don't recall your specific configuration, but I found an excessively high mortality rate with high pressure pumps that were mounted above the top of the fuel cell... I initially suspected that it was because of loss of prime, but installing an additional check valve on the output side did not help. Finally relocated the pump to be close to the bottom of the cell and had no further issues.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got the Aeromotive A1000, with similar issues. Not sure if this is a durability issue, or just from the sitting up for long periods of time. I tried ensuring the surge tank was full (from the low-pressure pump before switching on the high-pressure pump, but that didn't help. So I'm a bit puzzled/concerned as well. BUT, once the pressure comes up, and driven a bit, each restart brings fuel up to pressure quickly again. Not sure if it's a regulator reseating, or internal bypass reseating, or what.

Per Randy's comment, all three of my pumps are on the floor, which is the same level as the bottom of the fuel tanks, and below the surge tank.

Randy, mine is mounted much like Terry's. I have a shelf arrangement that has the pumps sitting at the level of the oil pan. the surge tank is mounted above that. I am thinking that the filters may be getting clogged as I haven't changed them out since the build. I only have a little over 1K miles(will have to check that when I get home this afternoon) and that is over several years of use. I don't usually crank the car unless I am going for a drive. Sometimes the next day and sometimes over a period of weeks, along with the occasional down time for repairs, or changes(fiberglass repair, painting, wiring etc). I think I will start with the filters and get them a new set of papers, and see how it runs then.If continues to act up will have to bite the bullet

Bill

Back