Battery.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Will the battery be at the front or near the starter motor at the back . If the battery is at the front then the long cable to the back needs to be a good thick cable with a low resistance. A friend of mine with a GTD had problems starting. We checked the voltage at the starter and the ignition box when cranking and the voltage was dropping so low that the ignition box was not getting enough voltage. A new better cable and a new switches with better contacts fixed the issue.
Otherwise I just buy the battery with the highest amp hour rating and cranking amps that will fit in the space.
Cheers
Mike

Hi,
I stick with a 600 CCA. Originally it was to turn a Lucas starter motor, but now changed to a reduction-geared starter motor although I've retained the 600 CCA as it gives a good level of spare capacity. Good previous comment on the cabling, I will add make sure you have one heavy Earth cable from the Battery direct to the starter motor body- don't go through the chassis. Tony.

Lots of opinions on battery choices. The battery I had the best results with in my CAV (rear battery) was an Optima with about 850 cca. Seemed to survive the cold-ish winters in the garage and work well for a few seasons, unlike others I tried which basically crapped out after one winter and occasional use.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Halfords Lead Acid Battery HB072 -...

First one lasted 10 years, and was just replaced with one of these, but at the local shop it was priced at £65.

This is specification for a Range Rover 3.9 V8

Oh and it has been used to jump start numerous other over that time too.

All things on my car are electric, demist, front fans, air cockpit fans, engine bay fans and it worked well for the ten years

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I ran it for a season or two before the transplant took place. They don't discharge like lead acid batteries either when sitting around.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I had Luftkraft fab an insert for the smaller GU1R that bolts into the stock battery box.

Back