Fan controller suggestions??

Chris Kouba

Supporter
My electric fan controller is on the fritz and it's the second time I'll be replacing it. It's nothing fancy but has a T/C by the thermostat which tells the fans to turn on and off. It has quit working reliably- sometimes the fans kick on when it's over 180°, and sometimes they don't. The car does extremely well in traffic when they're working properly and I would really like to get back to that.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a setup to use? I've seen stuff online at Summit, Jegs, Autozone, etc... Any recommendations, especially something which can survive exposure to weather? The two failures I've had were after trips which got soggy.

As always, thanks in advance.

Chris

It sounds like a electrical problem. These are just ground switches and they need to feed the ground for you fan relay. If you wire the fan ground directly - they will burn up.

Also it is always recommended to have an overwrite switch (Ground-Switch-Ground 85 Relay)

The relay is as follow wired:

87 + to fan (a fuse between relay and fan)
86 + from ignition
30 + from battery (fuse between)
85 - from manual switch/thermal switch

Here is a complete kit from Summit - easy to install - reliable and in your case water resistant.

Painless Performance FAN-THOM II Electric Fan Relay Kits 30103 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

BTW: I used the same.

I assume in your build, post 328, second picture down on the left side is your thermal switch and the right hand side is for the gauge.
Replace that, run a 14ga wire to the front and use the kit above. 2hrs and no more headaches.
Think about the override switch too.
Happy wrenching.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I assume in your build, post 328, second picture down on the left side is your thermal switch and the right hand side is for the gauge.
Replace that, run a 14ga wire to the front and use the kit above. 2hrs and no more headaches.
Think about the override switch too.
Happy wrenching.

Hi Pete,

This post 328?

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/20158-rcr-40-31-a-3.html#post479772

To which pic are you referring? This is the second one down, the TC is in view here:
YtisTKbQTDMWmGgeiPmsSmU-occH85sM238uL-L_tlj-W8FcIVTHeFZauiaDAQ2nom_1crWF6O81ibT4qVYb5nuz3xFcv2hZOgB9fZ6TWxwjJ-wjSe5iCv29Nmn2m6tY-KpnQRweeLG6FILLnbvBLnsjMLHj_xFL7A3zz39kgRjLkcrBEw8PEONVKcm9nui1M1l7E6fSm3NUr_pK7nXqi2jk5Z9x9VBfZTbBFxwLLo05m15XIV3VFRqGj6K_5OPGfDp6_K4WxYFE-qyBHLKAy3wmIMwwHOldJwauJp3dwl5WK_sWVPqBtMebj5BjX4NMpQYVGSCz_Q1SsSuPIbSLkTo5JFLPWSHn1qmKUttIj4ur4D4I1aYcAsRDalqyl5oAEglIYUumQJOdV31r_nAm9usH2gE4fUgSOTjNjt6fAGteuftv7_1R-0BV90I3fSbuP9bsELiP-ircxD6pMXqCr_Bg0DP6CFZnZqtyCgtoz86KDBOMQcopP4dmeJ3M7Gujpx_VHf-GmU08Lg6KJeaAGsopNHopd4aQl970l6ZvmDS3=w436-h775-no

(grey wires going into the brass item threaded in above the water outlet)

I don't have any other components visible in that pic.

I did order the kit you linked. The one I have is adjustable and at this point I assume it's not weatherproof as I believe it got lazy after my drive home from Redding in massive amounts of rain. The one you've linked looks simpler and doesn't have the electronic circuitry which my current one does. I have no fears tackling the R&R job.

Thanks for the lead.

Chris

Back