Notices

GT40 Tech - Fueling, Electrics, & Engine Cooling Petrol, Electrons, & Water

Old 6th June 2017, 04:59 PM   #41
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: DAX40
Thumbs down Re: Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302

I fitted the intake manifold, but was suspicious of the fit as the lower part of the gasket looked a bit loose, sure enough I can get a feeler gauge in there. Not just in one place, but each cylinder. The top part of the gasket is sealed but not the bottom as though the angle is different.
As I see it, the possibilities are;
The cork gaskets at the ends are preventing closure. I doubt this as I would expect it to pull down in the middle, but it hasn't.
or The angles are slightly different, or slight discrepancy in dimensions in which case I may need to remove heads, replace gaskets and try to tighten heads and manifold together. Maybe a thicker intake gasket would help as well.
I'll have a closer look tomorrow.
Any experience of this / comments from you guys?
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-06-06-21-32-24-jpg  
Old 11th June 2017, 04:46 PM   #42
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Re: Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302

So with the help of Jacmac and others I established that the clearance at the intake manifold ends was too small for the cork gaskets so I used instant gasket to finally install it. This weekend I fitted the hp pump, filter, and surge tank, made up all pipework up to the PRV. Just the return pipes to do now.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-06-11-21-42-39-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-06-11-21-43-31-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-06-11-21-44-51-jpg  
Old 12th June 2017, 05:06 PM   #43
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Tonight fitted front vent connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-06-12-22-05-14-jpg  
Old 4th July 2017, 08:02 AM   #44
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Despite lack of posting, except for a family wedding 2 weeks ago, I have worked on this every night after work and day at weekends. Now wiring up. I will post pictures soon.#
Dave
Old 5th July 2017, 10:55 AM   #45
tractorboy
10 tenths
United States

GT40: CAV # 82 SOLD

Continued success Dave. She's coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing more pics.
tractorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 07:05 PM   #46
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Cheers Jimmy, last week was MOT so first time on the road. Drivable in top gear but doesnt rev, masdively overfuelled but I'm learning to adjust to the point where it will drive a bit further to a rolling road.
A few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-29-23-43-15-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-30-00-01-16-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-30-00-03-54-jpg  
Old 30th July 2017, 05:09 PM   #47
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

On Friday, I had a go at balancing the TB's at idle. I made a simple manometer with a wooden lathe turned cap with a 1" hole. Coloured the water with some red syrup. A couple of rubber washers with 10mm and 8mm holes over the 1" turned out to be what was required to get decent readings.
At first I found that number 5 TB had a reading of 7" compared with 2" the highest out of the others. Since its brother number 6 was only reading 1.5" there was clearly something amiss. So I removed the TB pair, and found that there was play between the spindles. The Jenvey nameplate is removable and reveals a cavity with the spacer connecting the pair of spindles together. Problem was a loose grubscrew, so easily fixed.
Once I did that, I was easily able to balance the TB's within about 20% of each other, which I felt was good enough for starters. Maybe I will try to get them a bit closer once I have reasonable basic ecu settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-29-16-46-46-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-29-16-46-55-jpg   Installation of Jenveys with Emerald ECU on my 302-2017-07-29-19-26-10-jpg  
Old 10th August 2017, 05:29 PM   #48
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Update
I reduced the fuelling by reducing ecu MBPS which improved the running to the point where I was happy to drive about 25miles to a rolling road.
The engineer went about setting things up at low revs and working his way up. No pulls or anything and the highest speed he really used was 4000rpm as we encountered three issues.
First he tested the fuel flow from the low pressure pumps (facet red tops), which seemed to be quite low, less than a litre per minute, while he was expecting more than 2. This was put down to the filters I have on their inlet side. So he didn't expect to get very far in terms of rpm / power before we ran into starvation issues. I am going to check the redtop filters and if they are ok, remove the additional filters. Are these suitable anyway as they clatter away like mad with no back pressure in the system.?
Second, the ecu supply voltage tended to drop a lot when cooling fans and electric water pump were on and we were seeing as low as 10.4V at the ECU although battery voltage was around 12.3V. I have always known there is some issue as the voltmeter up front always reads lower than battery voltage so I need to find and fix that issue. In the meantime, I have moved the ecu supply to the pump power relay so now it is always within 0.1V of battery terminals.
The third thing which stopped us going further was a sticking throttle cable, the inner sleeve had started to melt near the exhaust (lack of real cooling air at the back.) Ended up with a couple more return springs to get me home, so that the accelerator felt like the brake. Needless to say I was scared that if I opened the throttle, it wouldn't close so I drove gently!
Fixed now and I will go for a run tomorrow / Saturday to see how it is.
Dave
Old 11th August 2017, 11:01 PM   #49
andrewrobertson
A Tenth
New Zealand

GT40: McLaren M1B Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolodymyr View Post
Update....
First he tested the fuel flow from the low pressure pumps (facet red tops), which seemed to be quite low, less than a litre per minute, while he was expecting more than 2.
Hi Dave,

good to hear you are getting near the fun end of the ITB conversion! In terms of flow from the lift pumps, assuming they are charging up a surge tank or swirl pot arrangement, you obviously want comfortably more volume from the low pressure system than the engine will ever need.

The margin of safety will need to account for situations when the lift pumps are sucking air when the tanks are low or experiencing surge due to lateral/longitudinal Gs. This also means that the lift pumps should be of a type that primes effectively after temporarily losing an effective siphon. A total LP flow into the surge tank of 3.5-4 litres a minute should be sufficient for your HP pump to service 500HP with a good margin to spare. Your tuner/mechanic is in the zone with an expectation of 2 litres/min from each lift pump.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Andrew
andrewrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 07:14 AM   #50
wolodymyr
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

Hi Andrew, thanks for the confirmation on flows. I will be looking in to this shortly. First I will do a check without the additional filters as one possibility is they introduce too much resistance. They will have done their job now after all the disturbance to the tanks.

I was trying to get an AFR indication but haven' t found a gauge yet at a sensible price. I tried a multimeter but impedance is too low and drags the voltage down. I have a Bosch wideband with comtroller feeding the ecu with 0 to 5V. Anyone comment on that?
Dave