CAV Aluminum Fuel Tank

Well I'm finally getting around to building a new fuel tank for my #176 CAV driver side tank. Here is some pictures I've incorporated an internal baffle and a fuel pump hopefully will have it back on the road in a week or so
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 399
what do you plan for safety against side impact.
I have been thinking of replacing my plastic tanks. nice welds on the tanks
LG

Pat

Supporter
Lloyd has a great point. I always worry about metal tanks either splitting their welds or developing fatigue cracks. This could be due to impact or the torsional movement of the tank over time. I suspect that's why racing organizations require bladder type cells inside a metal shell.
My suggestion would be to go the integral cell solution some aircraft use and coat the interior of the cell with a flexible sealant.

Something like this:

RHINO FUEL TANK SEALER 9700 A/B FRC from Aircraft Spruce

i have plastic with a bladder. the problem is the off gas that is they develop a gas odor that ends up in the cockpit. i like the idea of the aluminum tank but i would like to see an internal bladder
LLoyd

Richard
a lot of older boats used fiberglass tanks that fell victim to ethanol. not sure what kind of coating you are referring to.
Lloyd

Kevin Box

Supporter
Gents

With all the adverse additives around nowadays maybe we should explore using one of the softer stainless alloys - maybe 304 or similar
316 is too hard and goes brittle so not such a good option
Wouldn't need to be as thick as aluminium ???

I'd be interested to hear everyone's ideas.

regards KevinB

Lloyd,

There are several "coatings" on the market...mostly for steel tanks to help with rust, etc. though I haven't been in the Marine business for a while now (retired). The big issue would be punctures from below. I think I like Kevin's thought to go for SS. I know I would feel better tigging SS than alum. It will be awhile before I have to make a decision. Hopefully by then more options will be available.

Richard

Back