AFR gauge recommendation?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I looked for wideband AFR gauges, which seemed a little overpriced for what I thought was essentially a 0-5V gauge. (I already have a Bosch WB sensor and controller feeding 0-5v to an Emerald K6 ecu). So, I tried my multimeter, but impedance is too low and drags down the signal to the ecu.
Any recommendations for sensibly priced wideband AFR gauge or indeed a home made circuit?

Dave

Dave,
I'm guessing you're wanting a standalone to compare to what your Bosch WB/ECU is showing? I use the Innovate WB meter for that purpose. Also, FAST makes a few.

I prefer the analog series gauges as I can see the AFR swing with my peripheral vision while driving. You can also set a high/low threshold alarm that will visibly flash for you. With the digital readouts, you tend to fixate on the numbers, when you should be keeping your eyes on the road.... Links below:

Innovate Motorsports Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Tuning
Air/Fuel Meters Fuelairspark.com

Hi,

your ECU may have the ability to drive a 0-5v gauge directly off an auxilliary PWM or similar output. If so, that would negate the requirement to install and maintain another WB sensor in the exhaust.

Cheers, Andrew

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
High Andrew, thanks for the suggestions, I am searching the Emerald Manual, no direct reference to AFR output, there are some outputs, of which one refers to pwm.
3 IACV1/IACV-PWM/AuxOut3 IACV stepper motor channel 1, IACV pwm control or user assigned output
But when I look at that page in the software it seems to be a map of pwm output v throttle position v speed, but nothing to suggest that it can be linked to AFR.
The lambda controller which feeds ecu says 'green wire to ecu / gauge' and that's all I can tell for now.
I can ask Emerald tomorrow.

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Mark, some good stuff there.
Most of what I see either comes with a sensor, or is designed to control a sensor, whereas all I am really looking for is a gauge to read the signal off my existing sensor controller.
I have found only one stand alone gauge which specifically says that it has a 0-5V input which can be used to display the output from an existing controller. (Tech Edge LA1). It's about £90 which is still a bit steep to use as a 0 to 5V gauge, but it would either be that or make an impedance converter for a simple gauge.

By the way Tom, I was replying to your post yesterday but got logged out and lost it, but you will be getting the gist of what I am about with these other replies.
I like your comment about the practicality of seeing an analogue gauge peripherally, that makes a lot of sense.

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Aah well, I placed an order for an LA1 but was notified that it is no longer available while Tech Edge are making changes to it. Up the ladder and down the snake!
Dave

Back