Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Fueling, Electrics, & Engine Cooling Petrol, Electrons, & Water

Old 22nd September 2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Cliffbeer2
Silver Supporter
United States

Question about ignition options....

I have to replace the large (huge!) HEI distributor on my 347 with something smaller to clear the new injection manifold and TB's going onto the car. The HEI dizzy is just way too big to clear.

So, what I'm looking for is either a small sized distributor ignition system, or a distributor-less ignition system. Generally, I'm looking for something 100% dead simple, user friendly, and dead reliable. I don't need infinite tunability or complex programming. My little brain can't handle it.

The MSD 6 system looks to have a small-ish sized distributor (which may clear). It also appears to be programmable as far as timing and advance. Is that correct?

Alternatively, is there a good and simple distributor-less system out there? Suggestions?

In case it makes any difference, I want to keep EFI fueling control and ignition completely separate systems. This is because I want to run the car with a simple Holley 4 barrel first before switching over to injection later.

Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about ignition options....-img_7773-1-jpg   Question about ignition options....-img_7582-jpg  
Cliffbeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart
Re: Question about ignition options....

Cliff,
I would get the recommendation from the maker of the intake manifold.
I had to polish away a bit of the casting on my Weber intake to clear the small MSD distributor.. it was only about 1/8-3/16" ...
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Cliffbeer2
Silver Supporter
United States

Thanks Randy, yup, checked with them - they were quite helpful but essentially recommended a distributor-less system. That makes sense, just trying to weigh the different options.

Alternatively, I think I could squeeze a small dizzy in there....perhaps try that for starters just to keep things simple. Looks like I'll probably have to remove a bit of material too, like you.

Thanks
Cliffbeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Tom
Cobrajet
3 Tenths
United States

GT40: RCR MK1

Cliff,
I use the MSD Small Cap "Pro-Billet" distributor on my Borla setup. It fits right in there and the centerline fuel rails terminate and clear just enough to allow you to remove/replace the cap/rotor.

I also see a distributor-less setup in my future. I should be able to hide the technology (coil packs) in the sponsons and avoid any cap/rotor/distributor gear wear issues in the future. With the stack injection setup, I like the idea of treating each cylinder's fuel and timing independently from adjacent cylinders, which is what a sequential system with the individual coil packs can do for you.
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Rod Brace
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: McLaren replica

Meg squirt has ignition and injection.
Rod Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Canuk40
9 Tenths
Canada

GT40: CAV GT

Hi Cliff, check out the Pertronix "Stock Look" as cast distributors. On GT40s it's much easier to install (firewall clearance) with the engine already mounted. I used one in this RCR GT40 to replace the Ford dual point distributor. The Ignitor III version comes with built in multi-strike spark, rev limiter, timing assist for easier starting and vacuum advance. No need for the weight, wiring and hassle of a separate spark box. Just put one in a Cobra with 347 along with a MSD Atomic EFI system, works excellent.

Cheers
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Question about ignition options....-d134600-jpg   Question about ignition options....-img_20171010_183424-jpg  
Canuk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
MHNCO
GT40 For Life
United States

GT40: SPF 2161

That is what used. Very clean and simple install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MHNCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clear, distributor, ignition, simple, system