Wiring Connectors - Need Recommentation

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Hello,

I did a few searches and looking at some posts, found different recommendations (WeatherPack, Allied, Tyco, Deutsch). Many of the posts were a few years back and suffered from broken links and/or the picture hosting problem.

I am going to start some wiring, and would like to have a good connector option for those areas where I need to add the ability to connect and disconnect. This is probably the only thing I will ever wire, so not interested in a type of wiring kit that requires a crimper that is 100's of dollars (unless that is the only reliable way). I guess a connector option that has a good variety of sizes, a good crimping option and fits the bill of reliable connection with only a few connects and disconnects ever anticipated.

So what type of connector / kit fits that bill best. The other reading makes me think that WeatherPack might be the one, but wanted to get a few more opinions.

Your thoughts?

Ron Earp

Admin
Deutsch, hands down. Rated for far far more cycles than Weatherpak and easier to assemble. You need the Deutsch pin crimping tool but it's wonderful. It's also smaller than Weatherpak, easier to disconnect, and I feel a higher quality connector.

I agree but you need to buy the crimper. There are two sizes of connectors, 16 and 20. Nominally they are the size of wires for them. The same crimper will do both.

Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Ron Earp

Admin
This is probably the only thing I will ever wire, so not interested in a type of wiring kit that requires a crimper that is 100's of dollars (unless that is the only reliable way).

I use this Deutsch pin crimping tool and it works great. $26.

S & G Tool Aid 18880 Pliers - Hand Tools

It will work on the heavier gauge pins too, like 12, despite it not listing it in the specs. I'm sure there is a better crimper for 10-12 gauge.

Agreed, but if you don't invest in the proper crimping tool for which ever connector system you choose, save your money and just twist the wires and use electrical tape. No connector system will work flawlessly without a proper crimp on the wiring and a problem connection will not be visible..
Blas

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I agree Deutsch is a great way to go. You want the DT or DTM series connectors depending on wire size. The Motorsport ones are really expensive. I would also go with the solid contacts as they are only a little bit more and much nicer than the stamped ones. They are round and the crumper squeezes equally from four sides. I bought the Deutsch HDT-48 crimper which wasn’t cheap but works great. I figured buy once cry once...

The Deutsch DT series work well in the GT-40. They are compact, sealed/harsh environment capable, and some can handle up to 25 amps. This all adds up to a connector that will last for years, can handle the elements, and will not contribute to leaving you on the side of the road...

Get a good crimper....you can always sell it on eBay and recoup most of your initial investment.

McMaster-Carr is where I go to buy the DT series. They are labeled as Harsh Environment Low-Voltage DC Connector Sets.

Last edited:
I agree with Scott. I buy them from Mouser Electronics and TTI Inc. They are listed under T E Connectivity. Another source is WireCare. You want the DM and DTM series.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Ron Earp

Admin
You'll like the system. As an aside, I've access to expensive and inexpensive crimping tools for the Deutsch system. Both deliver excellent crimps and we use both tools interchangeably in our shop. Certainly perform due diligence but I would not feel like you have to spend $400 for a proper tool since $$$ spent do not necessarily relate to quality.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Ron does the one that you linked to above crush the pin equally from four sides? If so, and it works that’s a good deal. The Deutsch one lists for $400 but it can be bought online new for ~$250.

You will also want to get a good wire stripper. I have several but I like the entry level Stripmaster best. Their milspec ones are pricy but the basic ones are something like $35. The metal on the handles isn’t as finished as the Klein ones but I think the cutting portion is better.

http://idealind.com/content/pdfs/precision-tooling/stripmaster_stripmasterlite-specs.pdf

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron does the one that you linked to above crush the pin equally from four sides? If so, and it works that’s a good deal. The Deutsch one lists for $400 but it can be bought online new for ~$250.[/url]

It does, just like the factory Deutsch connector. Clearly I'd verify it when you get the tool because the suppliers and so on change all the time, but a proper four position crimper can be had for under $50 in my experience. Our cheapie has yellow handles and looks to be sort of a different overall length, but works like a champ.

even though they're not getting much love in this thread for some reason i've been using weatherpaks for over 10yrs in all of my builds and have never had any issues with them, either in terms of assembly or service/cycle life.

Back