Carburetor Corrosion

Any carb experts want to analyze what I found in my Holley 4150? It was running really rough off idle, around 1500-2500, with some surging if you tried to hold steady speed in 2nd or 3rd gear. This is the vacuum secondary side.

This stuff looked like battery corrosion - very flaky, crusty. I had to scrape it out with a screwdriver and a pick. After the rebuild, smooth as can be.

See pics.

Attachments

• 20180416_052040.jpg
    20180416_052040.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 20180416_055233.jpg
    20180416_055233.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 296
Ethanol blended fuel. See this a lot in Europe with just 5% ethanol blended fuels.
Ethanol corodes alloy.
Ethanol atracts water... water corodes alloy.

Doing a lot of carb rebuilds for Classic Fords in Holland. Mostly Weber and Solex and your picture is pretty common for me.
To prevent this in the future an ethanol killer fuel is advised. I have good results with Frost Ethomix but Ill guess something similar is available in the States.

The white powder is zinc oxide. Most pump gas is now at least 10% ethanol. Water in the ethanol separates out and causes the corrosion. Maybe gas sitting for longer periods in the carb are a factor? Perhaps an additive for the ethanol would help?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You got lucky Tim...
Once the emulsion tubes corrode, the metering blocks are pretty well trash....

I use a fuel treatment called Starbright Startron, absolutely swear by this stuff. Started using it when i bought my CAV 5 years ago, terrified about replacing the rubber bladders for the fuel, not to mention damage to 4x 48 IDA webers! I use this in all of my Ducatis and have never had fuel or rubber related probs once I started using this stuff. This actually stops ethanol from attacking metal, rubber and fiberglass. Every time I fill up with fuel I put in a couple of ounces and we are good to go, it also keeps the fuel stable for up to 2 years according to them, Ive had bikes sitting for over a year and experienced no problems. The best place to by it is Amazon, 32 ounce bottle.

BenL,
Yes, that's it. I haven't tried it, but the story behind it and NASCAR facing the same fuel system problems when they switched to Ethanol blends encouraged me to try it.

Neville,
Sounds very promising. I may try that after I try the Carb Defender. Thank you for posting.

Tim

You got lucky Tim...
Once the emulsion tubes corrode, the metering blocks are pretty well trash....

Lucky, indeed. To think that this happens - even in cars that are driven every day - upsets me. I wish we'd stop promoting Ethanol as a great thing.

Now, I'm running around putting additives in every gasoline engine and fuel can I own!

Back