Fuel Map

Hey Guys,

Ive tried searching and couldn't see anything that will help but maybe i'm searching the wrong words or something.

Does anyone have a base fuel map for a 302 windsor or have any knowledge about tuning that can help me out. Im using the base map that came with my system (speedmaster turnkey efi) but it is just drenching the cylinders with fuel.

Any help or some maps that i could look at and compare would be great.

Thanks very much for your time.

Hey Mitchell, I'm not familiar with the Speedmaster EFI (I'll go look it up), but maybe I can help get you started. Send me what you got for a fuel and VE map. Also, you mentioned the cylinders where drenched (at idle?), what is your actual AFR (vs target AFR, if you have it) when this is happening? I'll send you a PM with my contact info...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What are you using for the induction? The reason I ask is that when I utilized my 8-stack 48mm ITBs. I had to reduce the base map for the typical LS1 to about 50% based on the self-learning (Holley) deltas.

Mitchell, is your Speedmaster system a "self learning" system? In other words, do you have an 02 sensor with a feedback loop to actively adjust the AFR through the rev range?

It sounds like your system may not be a self learning system. If not, and the pre-programmed map is way off for some reason then you'll have to self-tune. You'll need some AFR feedback to do that properly. Do you have a means to monitor the AFR?

Mitchell,

For someone to help you, we need a lot of information:

Is the engine a 302 or 347?

What is the static flow and pressure of the injectors?

What throttles are you using and what is their size?

What fuel pump are you using and does it have enough flow?

Based upon your cams, etc., how much horsepower do you think you will make?

Are you planning bank injection or sequential injection? In other words, are you going to inject every revolution or every other revolution? For sequential injection, you need to have the cam sync sensor clocked properly before you start.

Does the ECU program timing as well as fuel?

Are you planning to program the ECU with Alpha-N (throttle position and engine speed) or Speed Density (MAP and engine speed)?

If you are planning to use Speed Density, a basic map can be computed based on theory. If you are planning to use Alpha-N, then you probably need to find someone with the same size and number of throttles that you have that has already done it. You might need to know the length of your exhaust headers.

You have to get pretty close with your static tune to let self-learning help out.

In either case, you must have a wide-band O2 sensor.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

Back