Radiator Vent Line

I am working on installing my cooling system. I installed the radiator and I’m now adding the coolant tubes.

Doing some research on this site, I now know that I need an expansion tank and an overflow tank.

I’m planning on using a coyote motor (no disparaging comments please) and I don’t have a port for the vent line on my radiator that goes to the expansion tank.

Does anyone know how else can I route a vent or bleed line?

This is a good schematic for the expansion tank and coolant recovery tank. Also attached are before and after (Canton Tanks) pictures on my CAV.

Attachments

• Cooling System.jpg
    Cooling System.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 867
  • Radiator catch tank raised.JPG
    Radiator catch tank raised.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 729
Well this is not going very smoothly.
On the illustration line 15 is shown incorrect.
It should go to the botton of the overflow tank,
not the top. This make it a coolant recovery tank.
The outlet at the top is routed to a catch tank
or routed to ground.

Third picture of canton tanks uograde will be posted
Later today.

It’s the strangest thing. I bought an OPL GT40 radiator and there are only the outlet and inlet tubes on the bottom of the tank and an opening for a heat sensor. No other openings or access.

Not a very good picture, but trust me. No ports. There are two small threaded tubes at the top but I contacted OPL and they are just acc mounting areas.

See below.

Can I run a bleeder line somewhere else or another way?

Attachments

• A811FCB0-5A6F-4034-A389-824BD1D46225.jpeg
    A811FCB0-5A6F-4034-A389-824BD1D46225.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 613
I like the idea of external battery terminals. Mine go to a female plug type fitting. I am concerned about a battery short if the caps get dislodged. The male fitting has provisions for regular jumper cables.

Richard

Pat

Supporter
Bob, what's the functional difference between the steam tube and the rad vent port in your diagram?

Your before pic looks familiar ;)

Everything I read, I need a port or bleed line in the coolant cycle. As I said, my radiator doesn’t have one.

Where else can I run a bleed line to the coolant recovery tank?

Here are some better pictures. You can see that there is no port for a bleed line.

Can I add one somewhere in the coolant line???

Attachments

• 3B8C8439-6EF7-46FA-9754-D5DB6581AF4E.jpeg
    3B8C8439-6EF7-46FA-9754-D5DB6581AF4E.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 679
  • 7817354E-5C48-4403-8D47-ADD9F87DE4E2.jpeg
    7817354E-5C48-4403-8D47-ADD9F87DE4E2.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 630
  • B62D5FCC-9C2A-4DA3-B90F-BEDD5A1A9B67.jpeg
    B62D5FCC-9C2A-4DA3-B90F-BEDD5A1A9B67.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
What are the items circled in your pic?

If they aren't bleeds, you can always pull the radiator and have bleeds/vents TIG welded in. See second photo.

Attachments

• Coolant bleed.jpg
    Coolant bleed.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Radiator bleed.jpg
    Radiator bleed.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
What are the items circled in your pic?

If they aren't bleeds, you can always pull the radiator and have bleeds/vents TIG welded in. See second photo.

Those are threaded nuts to add accessories to. I contacted the company to confirm and they did.

I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to go through all of that.

There has to be another option...

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
I'm not sure what kind of accessories the manufacturer had in mind. There are only so many things you can do with a radiator. If they go through to the core, perhaps you can use them as bleeds. If not, perhaps you can drill them out and tap them for a bleed fitting. Obviously, check with the manufacturer to be sure there isn't an issue with that.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
They look just like the bleed Allen head grub screws that were on my Docking radiator.

Fit the radiator and then slacken one off to release air until the fluid drips out.

Retighten and you are good to go. Check for air bubbles every couple of months.

Or find out what thread they are and buy a fitting so you can connect a brake pipe sized pipe 3/16 from memory to it and run that back to the header tank to have a continuous bleed circuit at one end or the other solder the pipe closed and drill a 1/16 hole so you do not have to burp it every few months.

Ian

They look just like the bleed Allen head grub screws that were on my Docking radiator.

Fit the radiator and then slacken one off to release air until the fluid drips out.

Retighten and you are good to go. Check for air bubbles every couple of months.

Or find out what thread they are and buy a fitting so you can connect a brake pipe sized pipe 3/16 from memory to it and run that back to the header tank to have a continuous bleed circuit at one end or the other solder the pipe closed and drill a 1/16 hole so you do not have to burp it every few months.

Ian

Thanks Ian, however I’m not sure exactly what you mean? What do you mean by “slacken off one”?

The threads you see don’t go all the way through. I don’t want to drill a hole in the radiator.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you taken one or both out?
I would be sirprised if they do not go through as they are in the header area of the radiator.

Certainly on my Docking made radiator both wet drilled through

My new radiator actually has bigger bleed points with -4 covers

Ian

Have you taken one or both out?
I would be sirprised if they do not go through as they are in the header area of the radiator.

Certainly on my Docking made radiator both wet drilled through

My new radiator actually has bigger bleed points with -4 covers

Ian

They don’t go through. I even called the manufacturer to confirm. There and no bleed ports on this radiator.

Does anyone have any ideas where else I can add a bleed line?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
You need an opening at the top / highest point of the radiator to allow air to be bled out.

So no

Send the radiator back and ask them to fit a bleed point

Ian

Back