2015 Coyote tacho connection

Hi,
As a few cars are built now using the Coyote, I am hoping that someone has a solution to the tacho connection for a 2015> Coyote 5.0 to a Smiths tacho on a superformance (cobra) i am helping a friend with.

The 2011-14 Coyote has a tacho output on the Ford controls pack however later ones (2015 on) do not. To remedy this an Autometer tach adapter can be used to create a tacho signal. Ths i have done however i am not getting a functioning tacho.

I have the dip switch settings on the tacho to what i think are correct being "00010001" which is 8 cylinder/8 pulse. Have also tried settings for 8cylinder/4 pulse.

The tach adapter is wired to the white/black input on the tacho.

Apprciate any clues that could be provided

Have had another look today amongst other tasks.

I took a temporary lead directly from cylinder 1 coil neg direct to the tacho input (completely bypassing the adaptor).

The white/black wire did not give a signal however the red/blue did so continued with the red/blue – (The tacho instructions allow either to be used).

I now get responses from the tacho as follows.
“00000001” (0.5 pulse) dip settings gives around 7k rpm with a fluctuating indicator and then drops out to 0 rpm after 15 - 20 seconds

“10000001” (1 pulse) dip settings gives around 7.5k rpm with a fluctuating indicator and then drops out to 0 rpm after 15 - 20 seconds

“10100001” (4 pulse) dip settings gives around 4k rpm with a fluctuating indicator and then drops out to 0 rpm after 15 - 20 seconds.

“00010001” (8 pulse) dip settings gives around 2k rpm with a fluctuating indicator and then drops out to 0 rpm after 15 - 20 seconds = Also noted the tacho drops to 0rpm when applying throttle ………

Following the above pattern where indicated rpm is reducing with pulse change, I thought I’d try the following

“00001101” (12 pulse) dip settings gives around 1200 rpm with a less fluctuating indicator and finally,

“00110011” (16 pulse) dip settings gives around 950 rpm with a less fluctuating indicator. This RPM value is about right for idle whilst the car still in its warm up cycle.

The RPM continues to go backwards on throttle application though ????

Any thoughts?

Back