My new workshop build.

At last some action on the new workshop, nearly 4 months through the council regulatory authorities read jump thru hoops and I finaly got permission to spend my money on my land. The new place we bought has some waste land at the bottom of the property that had a non permited retaining wall and a public sewer running close by that all had to be taken into account with the design. Basicaly the back piles are timber piles bored down to 1 meter below the sewer and the top piles above the retaing wall are bored down to below the wall with concrete and steel cages fitted,all conected to a bond beam along the top edge, these piles go down 3.5 mtrs to clear the sewer. All this is tied together into the floor and then we are away. This action will happen rain or shine on Wednesday. The area where I am building has resulted in an unusual shaped shed of 9 mtrs long with 7 mtrs one end and 5 mtrs at the other. I have spent the last few days digging the above ground foundations and making the boxing. Really looking forward to getting all my toys and tools back in one spot so that I can get back onto the Lotus 7 style of car that I was building for my wife. I will even have windows to look out of compared to my last cave. As you can see from the pictures, its a bit of a challenge but worth it. I will post the progress as it happens.
Cheers
The moral of this story is never give up trying when beurocracy waves it heavy hand. I had an ex councilor on my back boundary who did not want me to build there...her house is hidden in the trees to the left.

Attachments

• Algies Bay 116.jpg
    Algies Bay 116.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 712
  • evelyns wedding 064.jpg
    evelyns wedding 064.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 627
  • lyons ave 066.jpg
    lyons ave 066.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 624
  • 9 Lyons Ave revised res cons.pdf
    692.9 KB · Views: 373
Russ,
Are you going to add some height for a loft? My next garage will be a coach house design with a loft for storage. Look's good though.
Dave

Well done Russ...
I'm about to go into battle with Waitakere for my new garage. Then I just got to win lotto so I can start on my 40.

Cheers
Mason

Well day 1 of progress, in comes the team with the digger and a few cups of tea later we have all the lower holes bored down to a depth of 3.5 metres, seems to easy so when we start drilling the top level and the first one goes down to its 2 mtrs depth easy, well we nearly order lunch. Onto the next one which is 3 mtrs and then clunk at 500mm oh well try the next, clunk, and the next clunk...all six holes left impossable to drill as the kind soul who built the wall had buried some 5 to 10 tons of heavy concrete slabs in behind it. I really did feel like some vital organs had slipped out thru my nether regions...all I could see was a picture of me standing there burning $100 dollar bills. After some skilled discussion, the crew decided that the best way forward was to dig it all out and as you can see from the picture, it was not looking pretty. After a bad sleep i had to head off to work for the day and dreaded what I was going to see on my return. On my first look I could have kissed them all..just joking, somehow they had managed to drill the holes and raise the colums with large cardboard tubes which were then back filled and compacted along with carefully placing each slab of concrete back in like crazy pave all filled and compacted. Then rebuilt the boxing to pour the beam. The yards now looks like a thousand wildebeast have driven thru but hey thats only grass. I am now back on track and should have the slab poured in the next few week.
David sadly no as I have a height restriction to boundary and I am close to that window. I can get a pit if I want one.

Attachments

• LYONS AVE 005.jpg
    LYONS AVE 005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 573
  • LYONS AVE 008.jpg
    LYONS AVE 008.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 561
  • LYONS AVE 012.jpg
    LYONS AVE 012.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 549
  • LYONS AVE 015.jpg
    LYONS AVE 015.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 570
Russ,
There is always something when it comes to excavating. You never know what you will find. They don't allow pits here due to the collection of gas fumes. I have seen full foundations with basements. It's more work and money but double the square footage in the same space. Saw one done with the same height restrictions as you have, sure freed up a lot of space with tool storage.
Dave

Russell, you needed a bigga digga mate:), just joking! Im always impressed with what those guys can do with those small machines.
Can sympathise with the probs caused by your ex counciller neighbour, the old trollop that used to live next door to us was of similar mind, we couldnt even fart upwind without applying for a resource consent, New neighbours now with a 180° outlook on things, makes life a lot more pleasant...
Looks like there is enough room for more than just the Lotus though....:)

hey russ me old china, if it rains tomorrow can i come and play in yore mud hole please ta, i'll bring my mums gummies. steve

Steve
Ended up eating the cake waiting! it was a shitty day though.
Jac
Room for 3 plus some work space, my brother has a 2 door pillored Dodge Dart I think which is not unlike the early square shaped Valiant coupe but very light, the plan is to build an all comers saloon with a 440 in it or a viper motor and box ex the states.
Just for fun they say.
Cheers

sorry mate, family stuff and other intervened just after you called. couldnt/ in fact didnt, fit it all in. will do it again soon. have sold one SP one to go. then the super SP , THEN THE Lola t70. steve ps have to finish the new house first.

Progress, its stopped raining and the builder has dried out! Started to get the floor bearers down with the floor joists to morrow and hope to have walls emerging early next week. Time to put some beer in the fridge.
Cheers

Attachments

• lyons ave 026.jpg
    lyons ave 026.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 496
  • lyons ave 028.jpg
    lyons ave 028.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 504
Good work. I am moving house in the next six weeks and will be designing a new home for my two daily drivers and the P4. trying to figure out exactly what workshop items are a must that may have a bearing on the buildings design. Beer Fridge is a given!

More progress now with all the floor down and walls up, lifted the flitch beams in for the roof and the rafters will be on tomorrow so hopefully the roof on next week with all done and dusted by the end of Sept early October...then I can bring the toys home if I can remember where I stored them. The floor lay out means that I can easily get my Mclaren on its trailer in the left hand corner, My brothers Plymouth in the middle and Carols Lotus Replica to the right still with heaps of storage space and workshop space. Now that I have an actual building to wander around in, I have changed the layout slighty to make better use of space.
Cheers

Attachments

• lyons ave 045.jpg
    lyons ave 045.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 491
  • lyons ave 046.jpg
    lyons ave 046.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 515
  • lyons ave 044.jpg
    lyons ave 044.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 531
Hi Russell,
I know how you feel RE:Council holdups,as I have been a couple of months now for my consent for a 10m x 9m American style barn to come through.But can't balme it all on the Council as the builder did not supply all the correct info at the begining.Good luck.Cheers Leon

Luckily, as long as I stay below 4.5 meters at the apex of the roof, I do not need planning consent. However, if I wanted a flat roof, I could only go to 3.5 meters.

Malcolm

Supporter
Mark, Andy is right with height restrictions but with Permitted Development there are other restrictions you ought to be aware of as well, ie distance from main dwelling, from public highways (which can include a footpath running round the back), total floor area on property, PD rights having been removed from your house by previous consents etc etc. And it is possible to accidentally make an extension or separate building liable for a separate council tax charge if you are not careful although a proper garage is unlikely to trigger this one. Research it well and know where you stand. And do not rely on the local planners to know what the law actually is, they often don't!

More progress now it all closed in and the back outside walls all painted ready to drop the scaffold. Had the pre line inspection and the good old council wants some changes made. Even though we have signed a caveat that it will not be made into a `home` they need these alterations just in case some one in the future may want to! Think I will install rail tracks as they just may want a train station at some time.....just in case.
Any way another couple of weeks and the cars will be in residence and I can be a bloke again. Have got my work area all planed out and managed to score a full kitchen with Kauri doors so it should look smart. My son in law has fitted all the wiring and lights so might be able to see.

Attachments

• lyons ave 070.jpg
    lyons ave 070.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 510
  • lyons ave 071.jpg
    lyons ave 071.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 473
  • lyons ave 072.jpg
    lyons ave 072.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 501
Fantastic, Russell, and I like the kitchen addition. Depending on where you are, it may need to be earthquake proof as well!!
I'm absolutely green with envy.

Back