Winch recommendations?

Not wench...

Well, I got my trailer and now I need to install a winch on it to pull the car up backwards. Looking for tips, recommendations, etc. I read that Warn makes good products. Any help is appreciated...

Mike

Mike, I'd go with the one that pleases you most, doesn't talk back too much, is clean and tidy, and knows when to leave you alone.....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,

It will not take much to haul a GT up into a trailer. There are several sources of reasonably cheap winches. Harbor Freight, etc. Do be aware that many of the lower end units are PAINFULLY slow on the recovery. Remember that you can effectively double the rating with a block and running the fairlead back to the winch.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a SuperWinch 4500 in my trailer and it is well into the Overkill zone - but it works well. I could probably use a 2500 for just the GT40, but I wanted enough to drag a broken racecar into the box to get it home.

Mike,

I welded a receiver hitch mount to the deck of my trailer and use a Warn 9000 lb winch on a multimount platform with quick disconnects. That way, I can use the winch on either the front or back of my pickup truck or use it on the trailer.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have the Super Winch 4500, also. It is well built and has given me no problems in the 4 years I have owned it. I didn't have much luck, with the Harbor Freight model.

Regards Brian

Thanks guys, I will invest in a clean overrated unit that I can use for several applications on the property...I will have a receiver welded on for quick disconnect when not in use.

Mike

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Superwinch is very popular over here in UK, 4500 model will do most things for you bearing in mind your trailer may do other stuff than GT40 hauling.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I would like to see how you guys mount on a receiver. Thinking in terms of locating a winch inside a box trailer, where and how would the receiver be located? On the floor?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mike, that's a great price on the Superwinch. Can you send a link, as for that price, I think I'll pick up a spare.

Thanks Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would like to see how you guys mount on a receiver. Thinking in terms of locating a winch inside a box trailer, where and how would the receiver be located? On the floor?

While I don't have any pictures to share right now and my trailer is not accessible to take one - I mounted my winch off to the side of the trailer under a work bench permanently and then installed another D-Ring in the center of the trailer where I hook on a removable pulley that now get's the cable off to the center of the trailer. (I tried to draw a picture of it here - don't know if it will turn out well).
The only issue I have with this setup is that the cable does not evenly distribute on the spool as it is winding in, but I suspect that is due to the relatively short distance between the pulley and the spool.

Still - this gets the winch out of my way and has worked very well for me. The battery box is right next to the winch so things are relatively tidy. I also bought the remote cable operated control which was a bit more costly but well worth it.

Attachments

• Trailer-Winch.jpg
    Trailer-Winch.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 294

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

That's how I have mine current setup too and the true remote conrol is a godsend as I can steer the car and operate the winch. Only caveat is as you encountered the winch doesn't really dsitribute the cable as evenly as in a straight up mode.

One point of note, if you have a beaver tail trailer and expect to winch from a low mounted tow eye the cable can brush the flooor. On my previous trailer I mounted the winch on the front wall/frame to get it off the ground slightly. I considered a cable runner wheel down the trailer, but that would have been intrusive IMO, a steel plate could be used.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

That's how I have mine current setup too and the true remote conrol is a godsend as I can steer the car and operate the winch. Only caveat is as you encountered the winch doesn't really dsitribute the cable as evenly as in a straight up mode.

One point of note, if you have a beaver tail trailer and expect to winch from a low mounted tow eye the cable can brush the flooor. On my previous trailer I mounted the winch on the front wall/frame to get it off the ground slightly. I considered a cable runner wheel down the trailer, but that would have been intrusive IMO, a steel plate could be used.

Correct on the cable dragging on the floor. I use a piece of 3/8" Plywood that does double duty under my jack or jackstands when not being pressed into use here. The plywood doesn't slip around much but sometimes I have had to reposition it.

Hi Mike,

This is what I put in my trailer. 5500lb Harbor freight with wired remote control. I mounted it on a 2x6 which gives it more than enough heighth to pull the car in with no problem. I winch in backwards and stop the winch to adjust the car by turning one of the front tires by hand (it's easy). I use a portable power station instead of a battery for convenience ( as a plus it's got a small air compressor as well ) Some pics are below.

Attachments

• Lime Rock ALMS 2011 033.jpg
    Lime Rock ALMS 2011 033.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Lime Rock ALMS 2011 028.jpg
    Lime Rock ALMS 2011 028.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 277
  • Lime Rock ALMS 2011 030.jpg
    Lime Rock ALMS 2011 030.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Lime Rock ALMS 2011 032.jpg
    Lime Rock ALMS 2011 032.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 278

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I use a portable power station instead of a battery for convenience ( as a plus it's got a small air compressor as well )

That's my next question for people who've done this (winch in trailer): how do you power it? Dedicated battery in trailer? If so, how does it get charged? Or, powered from tow vehicle? Or ??? Just looking for ideas....

Back