Torque wrench and socket set

Hi all

It's time to buy my first torque wrench for the build. After doing some research I've decided to go for Halfords professinal. From what I've heard they are brilliant for the money, very accurate and also come with a lifetime warranty like snap on tools.

The problem I have is that the torque ranges I'll be using for the build vary from 22ft/ibs right up to 200ft/ibs so I actually need 2 torque wrenchs.

Halfords professinal torque wrench 40 to 200Nm (30 to 150 lbf.ft)
Halfords professinal torque wrench 8 to 60Nm (6-45 lbf.ft)

That's fine, I am happy to buy both as I am sure they will be very handy. The main issue I have is over socket sets. I have an asortment of metric and imperial bolts used in the build. Also the halfords torque wrenches have differnent size drives (3/8" for the smaller wrench and 1/2" for the bigger wrench).

My question is - what should I buy?

a) A nice 3/8" socket set (metric and imperial sizes) and an 1/2" socket adapter

b) A nice 1/2" socket set (metric and imperial sizes) and a 3/8" adapter

c) Two socket sets 3/8" and 1/2"

I don't really want to have to buy 2 socket sets but if it will effect torque settings then I guess I'll have to but what would you guys advise

Thanks

Trev

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
My question is - what should I buy?

a) A nice 3/8" socket set (metric and imperial sizes) and an 1/2" socket adapter

b) A nice 1/2" socket set (metric and imperial sizes) and a 3/8" adapter

c) Two socket sets 3/8" and 1/2"

When I started out I "standardized" on 1/2". However, I later wished I had standardized on 3/8 because there were occasionally situations where the smaller diameter of deep sockets was an advantage. Plus less weight and cost. The situations where 3/8" drive is "too weak" or extremely rare (axle nuts, etc, where you are into 100s of ft-lb).

Malcolm

Supporter
I began my spanner career with 1/2 inch sockets but once I got a 3/8 set that has become my main set of tools. Only go up to 1/2 for major big nuts and bolts. The lighter weight and smaller size is fine for most GT40 stuff.

3/8" is the way the to go. 1/2" drives etc are generally to bulky/heavy for most of the stuff you'll need to do

Andy

also check weather the halfords sockets are 6 or 12 sided, i find the 6 sided much better, but we restore old cars with rusty nuts!
hopefully, no rusty nuts on the gt40's
check the prices of the mac special offers also, i've had some good 3/8 socket sets free with stuff!
in fact, what ever you buy, you'll always need more!

Don't forget that you will also need a deep socket set as well at some point :)

Next you'll be buying a compressor and impact sockets as well ;)

I have all of the above, but I also am a Tools Kleptomaniac

If you ever get into road biking etc, you'll also need a 3rd torque wrench starting down at 2nm...

I'd also suggest bying Hex end sockets as well, though the imperial ones are hard to find. Only Teng seem to do them in the UK and only in 3/8

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'd also suggest bying Hex end sockets as well, though the imperial ones are hard to find. Only Teng seem to do them in the UK and only in 3/8

I'm glad to see I'm not the only compulsive tool buyer.

I agree about preferring hex-end (six-point) over 12-point. Although there are a few 12-point fasteners out there (Land Rover used some on my Discovery).

While we're spending Trevor's money don't forget to get a 1/4" drive set. Situtations where it's the only one that will fit are pretty common. An example I can think of is getting at the screws that fasten the pedal cluster to the floor from above the footwell. With a nice long extension (or set of extensions) and a u-joint you can guide that socket right down on the screw and still have a full wrench swing up above.

And of course he didn't mention wrenches, but I'll say it anyway: your first purchase should be a set of combination open-end/ratchet-box-end (Gear Wrench started it in the US). When I got my first set of these a few years ago I was amazed at their utility. I hardly ever touch my box-end wrenches any more.

At this point and I'm not a professional mechanic I have everything from 1/4 to 3/4 and use them all. I mostly use 1/4 and 3/8 but you will need a 1/2" torque wrench so at least one set of 1/2" shallow sockets 6 or 12 point. Start with 6 and pick 12 point or deep as needed.

If your buying a new torque wrench buy one that goes to 200ft/lbs. I would also look for good used tools. I payed $250 to a out of state guy for his Dad's tools. His Dad had a transmission shop. He had no idea what he had, 1/4" through 3/4" socket sets, tape and die set, large Snap-On puller, etc. Both SAE and metric. Some missing or broken pieces but all and all a great buy.

Good tools almost never wear out and most old tools are better than the new ones and they're cheaper plus they almost always come with a lifetime warranty. I found lightly used Proto 1/4" in/oz and 200ft/lbs Snap-on torque wrenches at a surplus place, I picked up both for $60. They both had DOD markings which meant they had to be kept in calibration but were "to old" for them to use.

Both deep and shallow sockets are a must so get one in 6 and the other in 12 point if you're buying new. Don't forget to pick up a 24" 3/8" drive extension and swivel, very handy. Only way I know of to replace spark plugs in a Cobra Jet Mustang.

I'm with Alan a set of combination open-end/ratchet-box-end "Gear Wrench" are a must! They are the best tools I own.

Anyway I figured tools and metal health counseling would cost about the same so I just keep buying more tools. It somehow quiets the other voices in my head.

Last edited:
Hi all

Right after looking again at a few other torque wrenches seen that Snap On do a 3/8 wrench that covers 99% of the range I need 20 - 100 ft ib. So thinking about this wrench and then a decent set of 3/8 sockets. Otherwise I need to buy both Halfords wrenches and 2 sets of sockets for the same range.

34638.JPG

QD2R100, Torque Wrench, Adj. Click Type, U.S., Fixed-Ratchet, 20-100 ft. lb., 3/8" drive

Do you think this will be suitable for what I need?

Trev

Holy mother of mary - £250!!!

Trev, I just have one of these that does 20-150 ft lbs: Reversible ½" Torque Wrench | Screwfix.com and it comes with a 3/8 Adaptor.

For the money you are talking about, I probably have bought the big Torque wrench, my little 2-20Nm one, a set of metric Allen Key sockets in 1/2 and 3/8, a set of 3/8 Imperial Hex key sockets, a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor and socket to do my hub, a normal 1/2 breaker bar... and had money left over. I already had sockets.

Holy mother of mary - £250!!!

Trev, I just have one of these that does 20-150 ft lbs: Reversible ½" Torque Wrench | Screwfix.com and it comes with a 3/8 Adaptor.

For the money you are talking about, I probably have bought the big Torque wrench, my little 2-20Nm one, a set of metric Allen Key sockets in 1/2 and 3/8, a set of 3/8 Imperial Hex key sockets, a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor and socket to do my hub, a normal 1/2 breaker bar... and had money left over. I already had sockets.

Yeah, don't think I'd spend £250 but been looking at a few used ones for around £70 which is as cheap as one of the halfords wrenches and has a wider range.

I don't like the idea of lots and lots of different tools if I can get one good one to do everything. So I need the swiss army knife of the torque wrench world for under £100 if I can get one.

I thought 3/8 will cover most things and 20-100 ft ibs covers all of the ranges listed in the build manual other than one which is 200ib (i think its for hubs). Also snap on are good quality, it won't break and hopefully should be accurate.

So yay or nay on the snap on or should I get the two halfords wrenches 1/2 and 3/8?

Trev

In the end I use my torque wrench to tighten lug nuts the most by a long ways. Given that I would get the 1/2" drive.

Good tools really aren't that expensive. Compared to fine art or exotic cars or some such thing they're downright cheap. And, considering you can probably use a good quality tool for your entire life, it just doesn't seem wise to me to buy anything less than really, really good tools. I buy Sears Craftsman (reasonable price, good quality, excellent post-sale support) and I have so many socket sets and wrenches that I have more tools of this nature than most professional shops do. I have a LOT of sockets and wrenches.

If you really want to have the right tool for the job then you'll need many sets of sockets for example...1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch in both metric and english. Plus, you should have both six point, and 12 point in both if you're really wanting to do it up right. That's a total of 12 sets. Plus you'll need a large collection of extensions and universals and adapters - that's probably another 30-50 pieces. Certain Italian cars which shall remain nameless have so little freaking room in and around the engine and transaxle, that having the right wrench makes the difference between being able to do the job and not (having baby-sized hands helps too, which I don't (which my wife is thankful of)).

As far as wrenches, it's the same drill. I have probably a hundred or so metric wrenches, and at least as many english. Why so many? Well, there's 12 point, 6 point, offset/box, metric/english, stubby, ratcheting, ring/open, brake wrench, just to mention a few variations. Some jobs on some cars require all kinds of variations to be able to properly access the bolt/nut. In a tight space where you can only rotate the wrench 30 degrees? Well, you need twelve point ring. At risk of shearing off the corners of a particularly stuck nut? You need a 6 point ring. Have to access a bolt head down in a recess but don't have enough room for a socket? You need an offset/box wrench. Want to take off that brake line nut without rounding the corners? You need a brake line wrench.

You can get away with just a couple sets of sockets and wrenches but why scrimp when having just the right tool makes the job so much easier, faster and more pleasant?

Last edited:
Trev,
I personally would go with the one out of Screwfix/Tools tation and then save your money to buy more tools. Trust me, you will end up buying them...

My £20 one hasn't broken and I tested at work and its accurate... as Cliff says good tools don't have to be expensive; unless you are a marketing mans dream and want Snap-On etc in your garage.

Having said that if I ever need a new socket set, I may buy a Teng set, but my Draper set my Dad bought for me for my 15th birthday (21 years ago) is still going. All I have had to do in that time is buy a new reversible wrench (£12)

Hi guys

Thanks for all the advise. I've actually been out today and bought a set of sockets and wrenches from halfords. It's halfords professinal and comes with a lifetime warranty. The set has every socket I think I'll need and in addition I've bought adapters for 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 sizes so should hopefully work with whatever torque wrench I go for. The set was on offer at 50% off and all in cost me £99 which I think is pretty reasonable value.

build-october20.jpg

We've been using them on the car today to help fit the front suspension and so far they've been brilliant. Next up to find a suitable torque wrench

Trev

That looks like a good kit Trev, a set of ratchet spanners are also handy to have in the tool chest.

Problem with me is, I love doing jobs that require me to buy more and more tools, I think I need to see someone about it.

Cheers
Paul

I'm still regularly (as in almost daily) using the set of halfords professional tools my Dad bought me for my 16th birthday... They are well worth it and should you (somehow) manage to break one they'll just swap them out.

I was very tempted to buy that kit in the 50% sale even though I have most of them anyway!

I would if I was you buy the little 1/4 pro kit that they are doing, its rather nice. I'd also just get some 1/4-3/8, 3/8-1/4, 3/8-1/2 and 1/2 to 3/8 adapters, just make sure you don't abuse them and it vastly widens your tool range.

I also have two halfords torque wrenches, partly due to the reasonable price, partly because they've reviewed very well. One nice feature that they have is that they are ratcheting, while you don't want to tighten a bolt/nut all the way up with them it's a godsend when you have reduced clearance.

Re: 2006 special edition GT Tungston lug nuts

It's good to be aboard!!
I purchased my 2006 Tungston GT40 in Houston the end of January. The seller promised to send the manuals, tools, etc. with the car when it was shipped. Naturally, that never happened.
I am badly in need of the lug nut removal tool for the 2006 Special Edition
Tungston lug nuts which were an option. I have seen the std. GT40 lugs and these are not what I have. I have the optional BBS wheels. My lugs say "GT" in the center of the nut. Above is written Tungston - below it is written 2006. If I get a flat or want to change tires, I'm up the creek!!
Just need to know where I could buy this removal tool. My lugs have 6 symetrical splines. Nothing appears to be offset. All the lugs are the same.
Got my fingers crossed. Thanks.

William

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: 2006 special edition GT Tungston lug nuts

It's good to be aboard!!
I purchased my 2006 Tungston GT40 in Houston the end of January. The seller promised to send the manuals, tools, etc. with the car when it was shipped. Naturally, that never happened.

From your description it sounds like you have a Ford GT (made in 2006) not a Ford GT40 (made in the 1960s, followed by replicas made ever since). If so, there are better places to ask like FortGTForum.com.

Back