A real place to work

So In all my past projects, I have never had a garage. At one point I had one of those car tents, but building a couple cars outside, especially when it's below freezing out, then having anything you leave on the ground get wet when it rains starts to get old. I moved to a new place last year, with a car port, and have finally gotten turning it into a garage so I can get going on building this Lola.

I still don't know what to do about the old windows that used to look out to the carport... though I kind of like the idea of just leaving them so I can stare at the cars from inside the house... Any ideas from you guys?

It's still underway, needs insulation and such. The mini split is an Ac/heat pump with inverter (If you want to use one of these where it gets below freezing, and have it putting out hot air, you need to get one with an inverter). I don't know how it's going to work yet, but hell, it was only $1,400 shipped for a much over-sized (for this space) 24,000btu unit, and pretty easy to install yourself.

Oh, and the other thing I wanted to mention, if you're looking for lighting, these are T-5 fluorescent fixtures, the output is beyond what I expected, they are insanely bright, and I haven't even epoxy/ painted the floor white, I'm not sure I need to now. They do cost more than the older T-8, or T-12, but it's easily worth it (plus they're efficient or whatever I guess)

Attachments

• 154947.jpg
    154947.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 571
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 534
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 547
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 510
  • Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations on getting your own space indoors!!!!

I'm reminded of the fellow I read about on the ffcars.com forum who built his entire ffr cobra inside the crate they hipped it to him in....

Heat / light - both are very good things!

Charlie M

Supporter
Great job on the garage. I know what it's like to do without one. Years ago I did a partial restoration on a Triumph Spitfire in my driveway; I covered it with a tarp when I wasn't working on it.

Could you post some more details on the heat/AC unit? I could use something like that.

Thanks,
Charlie

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I still don't know what to do about the old windows that used to look out to the carport... though I kind of like the idea of just leaving them so I can stare at the cars from inside the house... Any ideas from you guys?

It's still underway, needs insulation and such. The mini split is an Ac/heat pump with inverter (If you want to use one of these where it gets below freezing, and have it putting out hot air, you need to get one with an inverter). I don't know how it's going to work yet, but hell, it was only $1,400 shipped for a much over-sized (for this space) 24,000btu unit, and pretty easy to install yourself.

Not sure about the building code where you live but in MN you have to have fire rated construction between an enclosed garage and living space using 2 layers of fire-rated drywall. This would probably require removal of the windows, framing in the openings and repairing the interior walls - maybe more work than it's worth if you don't have to do it.

I have a mini split system installed in my pole building and I love it! Heat and AC in one unit, very quiet and inexpensive to operate. Unfortunately, in MN it can get REALLY cold in the winter (though apparently not this year....) so I had to also install a backup propane heater for when the temp drops below 10F.

Have fun working in your new space!
Dave L

Could you post some more details on the heat/AC unit? I could use something like that.

This is the place where I got mine from a few months back, though there are many sellers: Klimaire Ductless Mini Split Sales

The unit is a Klimaire, some new(ish) company, probably mostly Chinese components (I think most of these mini splits are). I looked around for some reviews on this particular brand, there's not too much out there (nothing real bad, just some complaints about the instructions, which I didn't even find that bad). But at least they have customer service and HQ in Miami. You can pay double or triple for a Mitsubishi unit though if you choose, they're supposed to be the gold standard.

I got the 2-ton, and with no insulation it has been plenty (my garage + small workshop is maybe 550sqft.)

Not sure about the building code where you live but in MN you have to have fire rated construction between an enclosed garage and living space using 2 layers of fire-rated drywall. This would probably require removal of the windows, framing in the openings and repairing the interior walls - maybe more work than it's worth if you don't have to do it.

The inspector said one layer of fire drywall, but then we talked about how he has a sweet camaro (I'm not joking), and I basically told him I didn't want to drywall it, and he seemed content with that and finaled it. I only enclosed a car-port, so I really don't think he cared to much either way.

I ended up making a 8'x12' white (dry erase board) to sketch out ideas, make check-lists, etc. I'm liking it a lot, so I may just extend to cover the other window/ rest of the wall (pic)

Attachments

• sdsfs.jpg
    sdsfs.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 377

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Congratulations on the addition. Been there, done that, and it's such a joy to finally work in a dry, temperature controlled environment. Next you need a nice fan to blow dust out/away from your work, what with all the sanding and bodywork.

Back