Got a rusty bolt?

Received an email the other day. you may find it interesting.

Penetrating Oils
Machinist's Workshop MagT recently published some information on various penetrating oils that is very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by a professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

*ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid
The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Note that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
Power-steering fluid also works about as well as trans fluid!

Hey bill, good info as I have seen guys use tons of penetrants and still break stuff.
That ATF/Acetone mix sounds interesting, I will have to mix it up and give it a try. It sounds like a good product to market, use your specs for breakout torque and get some cans labeled "Home Brew", I bet it would sell.
Cheers
Phil

PS Don't forget to add some unique smell to the batch.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting... I wonder how long they let the penetrant soak?

Interesting info... But I would feel concerned about painted parts or ducts integrity, using a mix containing acetone in the area...

Like Randy suggests, I wonder if this mix is really more efficient (some kind of higher slipping coefficient, all other things remaining equal) or just penetrates quicker ? (I'm not sure I'm clear...:shy:, sorry if stupid question).

And, I'm far to be a doctor, but as far as I know, acetone is not totally harmless for human health, it notably can cause bronchial irritations (don't ask how I know !):tongue2:

I have been using ATF/Mobil 1/Hoppes mix for years as a firearms lube.

Substitute the Mobile 1 for Acetone as a fireamrs cleaner. ATF, the wonder chemical.

Joey, Ballistol with a little acetone works very well too. I use the Ballistol on all of my firearms, on the SL-C (protects the polished aluminum beautifully).

That sounds like a must try as I usually end up using a torch to loosen rusted on lug nuts :flameon:
It is destructive but quick.
Not something I want to do but none of the penatrating oils I have tried work quickly in my tire shop.

Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Mark

Back