Penetrating Oils

Pat

Supporter
I received this interesting article from an old motocross buddy. I thought some of you might find it enlightening, especially the reference to the "home brew".

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop magazine published some information on various penetrating oils.
Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.
They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
*ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
I also found the ATF/Acetone mix to work the best at unsticking piston rings and dissolving gum/varnish/carbon. This was for a short block sitting on an engine stand, but had multiple cylinders that had high leakdown numbers.

I had tried PB Blaster, et al, and the ATF/Acetone worked the best out of 4-5 solvents.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I use the 50/50 automatic transmission fluid/acetone mix. Works well but keep it away from your paint and remember that it burns really well!
Cheers
Mike

Back