Announcing Audi 016 with custom 3.17 R&P

Like so many others, I’ve been bothered by the Audi 016 type 5N box – it’s ratios are just not optimal for the GT w/small block application. After too much reading about new 5th gears, the impossible to find type 3U, etc, I’ve had enough and decided to do the right thing. I’m announcing that I am engaged with GTA (German Transaxle in Portland, Oregon they are independent rebuilders of transaxles for Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche vehicles) to build a proper new 3.17 final drive for the type 5N box.

I will be funding the development of the prototype box. The new ring and pinion will be made using a Klingelnberg gear cutting machine (yes, that is the correct spelling). For those of you interested in learning more about this machine’s capabilities see more at www.klingelnberg.com. This will be an all new custom R&P with the pinion shaft and gear machined from a single piece and a separate ring gear. These new R&P’s are purpose built for this application, this is not some jumble of assorted parts from other transaxles. With the new final drive, the ultimate ratios and speeds will be as follows (assume 26.23 tire diameter and rpm range 2500-6000rpm):

1 - 3.60x3.17 = 11.412 (0 – 41 mph)
2 - 2.13x3.17 = 6.7521 (29-69 mph)
3 - 1.36x3.17 = 4.3112 (43-109 mph)
4 - 0.97x3.17 = 3.0749 (63-152 mph)
5 - 0.73x3.17 = 2.3141 (84-202 mph)

The prototype will be machined over the next 6-10 weeks, and the transaxle rebuild will occur immediately thereafter. Target completion of the transaxle will be Jul-05 or Aug-05. Testing in a driveable GT40 replica is to occur immediately thereafter (see more on this later in this post).

With GTA’s experience and the capabilities of gear producer, I have every reason to believe this will be a success. Production of additional R/P’s will occur once orders are received by GTA.

So, now for the production pricing; GTA will offer three separate package deals:

1. $3995 USD - User supplies “rebuildable 016 type 5N core”, GTA performs complete rebuild (bearings, synchros, etc), machines case and installs new 3.17 R&P, including Quaife LSD

2. $2695 USD User supplies “rebuildable 016 type 5N core”, GTA performs complete rebuild (bearings, synchros, etc), machines case and installs new 3.17 R&P

3. $ Labor and Materials - User supplies “already rebuilt 016 type 5N core”, GTA machines case and installs new 3.17 R&P, with or without Quaife (GTA would have to confirm condition of transaxle before any firm numbers could be quoted to customer)

Note: GTA will NOT sell the R&P stand-alone, this is not a do-it-yourself proposition. Please do not ask me to buy just the R&P, this is the final decision of GTA.

These prices are in affect assuming we can generate (10) orders for production units. Without (10) orders, production will not commence. I believe you will not find another transaxle that offers these ratios for anywhere close to this price. For comparison, the stand-alone 5th gear that was offered by RF used to be $1850 AUS, but this was only the 5th gear. The bottom line with my solution is that better ratios will make for improved overall driveability and it will keep engine rpms at a more appropriate level at all road speeds.

So there you have it.

Now, since my car will not be available from RF until late 2005, I’m looking for another car owner that can participate in my development program to “test drive” the prototype unit. I will coordinate with you as required to get the box from GTA to you, etc. I need someone with a running car available for testing in the Jul-05 or Aut-05 time frame. Originally I had hoped to enlist Hersh to participate, but he has other priorities that will preclude his ability to participate. Finding the right person with the right car is paramount, since I suspect most people will not want to plunk down the money for an order until they know the results of a driver test.

So for now, I need input to the following two items:

1. Please PM me if you’re interested in being the ‘test-driver’ of the prototype box
2. Please indicate to me either PM or on this thread your level of interest in getting one of the production units – PLEASE specify: Definitely, Strong Maybe, Maybe, Unlikely

Regards,
Mitch D

Re: Announcing Audi 016 with custom 3.17 R&P

Hmmm, another member pointed me to the thread on the "Audi 016 Heavy Duty Gearset". I've pinged Stuart separately to ascertain status of that endeavor, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me - what's better: changing all the gears or changing the final drive? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of either strategy?

Mitch D

Mitch.

That's exciting news. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and doing something. This must have cost you a few $$$ to get this going.

I have a few questions. Will this R&P work with any 016 or just the 5N?

Is GTA going to offer some kind of warrenty with these units?

What sort of testing will you be doing? Will it include any track time? I think this would really be a valuable tool in finding out just what these gears will stand.

Have you found anyone to do the testing yet?

I have been looking for Stuart to update us on his venture but I have not seen anything on this forum to indicate that he is still working on his gear set. Maybe someone can chime in if they have any news.

This is very exciting news to me and I would put myself in the VERY STRONG Maybe catagory. I have looked around and I do not see a better alternertive than yours. Any other transaxle would require cutting or adding to the frame of my car and I'm not going to go down that road at this point.

Hi Dan and Mitch. I punched both set ups in the smokem-up calculator and feel that GTA's 3:17 is better for cruising on the highway, 1st gear is better than stock (which for me with a AFC is a 3:89 RP). But still not really well rounded out for a V8. The Stuart B Quaffe setup places all the gear ratios at or near the optimum spread from each other, and 1st gear becomes better than Mitch's setup. 5th gear isnt as good for high speed, long road trip as Mitch's either but still pretty good, so there are trade offs for both. That being said either would be a much better box, which ever you choose, as long as one of them comes to market. Hey Stuart B , any word yet ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mitch has done his home work. Those prices are really outstanding. I personally have a 3U box and won't be needing one but I most certainly will point customers in this direction. I see this as the best option out there for a good transaxle that should do what most of us want.
Mitch, good job and I'm sorry I can't help on the testing.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I forgot to mention. The fifth gear Roaring Forties offers is only $500.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am seeing Stuart tomorrow night, but last I heard Quaife have taken some 016 cases and were starting to work on it.

Brett

I see the 3.6 first gear ratio as the real problem with the 016 transaxle. If this can be corrected with Stuart's gear set and maybe a higher 5th for highway driving then the complete gear set would be preferable to me. The advantage to the 3.17 R&P would be that it might be stronger than the stock gears but it doesn't help the low 1st gear enough and the larger jump between 1st and 2nd. I will hold off on saying which way I would go until I get more information and pricing from Stuart.

Hi all, by way of an update, the Gearboxman / Quaife 016 gear set is still on track and is at the prototyping stage, when we have some more news I`ll post it, straight away, I promise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
Not a lot other than that to say realy, it`s happening, but please bear with us. If Quaife are anywhere near as busy as we are then I for one am delighted they`ve got as far as they have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just to post an update for the R&P - I have found a willing volunteer to "test drive" the prototype unit. He has a stock 5N in a currently running car, and his engine boasts mid 400's for hp and torque. This should provide an excellent comparison of before and after in terms of driveability. We plan for some street and track driving to provide some thorough feedback. The first R&P is planned for completion July-05, and the road tests should begin sometime in August-05.

I've received a fair number of inquiries from GT builders (US) as well as Diablo replica builders (New Zealand and the US). I even had one query from a gentlemen with a hopped up Audi 90 (UK). All in all, everyone's questions, comments, and feedback have been great. That's pretty much the point of this forum, and I appreciate the opportunity to communicate with folks from around the world.

That's it for now - please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Regards,
Mitch D

Hi, Charlie, last I checked with GTA the work was underway at the vender on the first unit and we are still on target for completion of the prototype sometime this month. I'll check with John directly tomorrow and will post the current status.

Regards,
Mitch

Ron Earp

Admin

Hi Mitch,

I have a brand new 016 with a Quaife differential. How much would it be to upgrade a box like this to the new R&P?

Thanks,
Ron

Hi, All, I just got off the phone with John at GTA. He spoke with the vendor last week (he actually talks with these folks regularly for various work - not just the new R&P). The work is proceeding as planned and we expect the first R&P to be complete by end of Jul or early Aug at latest. Neil from the Seattle are will be the "test driver" and he'll put the first rebuilt trans with the new R&P and Quaife LSD through its paces. Anyone who's interested can read about Neil's spectacular car on his build site.

Ron - as for your question about your 'brand new 016 with Quaife)'. You'll have to discuss with John at GTA directly. I'm guessing he cannot give you a "firm price" until he verifies the condition of the box, but assuming the condition is 'brand new' he should be able to give you an estimate based on option #3 in my first post above (user supplies box that does not need rebuild - it just needs labor and materials for R&P). It sounds like he has been getting contacted from various parties about the R&P so I'm very optimistic that we'll get the requisite minimum of 10 orders to start "production". Otherwise, I'll be the only owner of one of these new R&P's since I'll be getting the prototype back from Neil once his test driving is complete.

I'll keep updating this thread with news whenever I have it.

Regards,
Mitch

Ron Earp

Admin

Thanks Mitch, he should know about the box - he sold it to me about 2.5 years ago when I first started posting about GTA on this site. Since then, he's had a lot of business from our forum.

Ron

Any updates on how the test box is?
Have you reached the 10 box minimum yet?
Where can I get a good Core box for GTA to rebuild?

Thanks, Jim

Hmm, seems during the forum re-org, this thread didn't quite make it to the proper "Transaxles" thread.

Anyway - here are some answers for you, Jim B (and welcome to the forum, I see it's your first post!):

Latest update- I spoke to John at GTA last week, and the supplier said it was to be completed in about a week - they just had to complete a cutting operation on the 1-2 hub. So we should be very close to having the finished R&P in hand. Based on this latest info, I'm assuming the first test box will be ready mid-to-late Oct. A bit later than originally planned, but that's the way it goes with suppliers that are busy. (I personally always double any time estimate given to me by a vendor, then I'm less likely to be disappointed later)

As for the target of 10 units - This is really a question for GTA. They have 3 firm orders in hand (and actually have the boxes on site), but plenty of interest is lined up. It's likely most people are awaiting news of the test trials before placing a 'firm order'.

Where to get a good corebox? - I just did a search using carparts.com and looked for boxes on the west coast. I ended up buying two from northern CA (If you want, you can call Erin 800-321-3237 with Dads Auto Dismantling)

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do what I can to help.

Please note - as I've said earlier in this thread, I'm not 'selling' these boxes, nor am I associated with GTA other than being a customer.

Mitch D

Back