dual carbs

Well here goes, maybe this is in the search , but I have not seen it. This is not a natural intake on a 40 ,has anyone installed, an run a dual carb setup on a SB Ford motor? Yes I would love to run webers or EFI w/ stacks but am looking other avenues. Just for the cost issue.

Sandy, the carbs would be 500AFbs ,Edelbrock manifold, I would custom make stainless steel stacks to look like webers, just thinking on this . I would downsize the main jets and use an electric choke. Allways looking for a good way out. Kevin

Carl Davis up this way had dual 500 cfm quads on his small block, in a Tornado as a matter of fact. I never spoke to him about how it ran, but have been told by guys that know the car that it just never ran right, just way too much carb for the motor.
Brian

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Size of the carb really depends on the RPM and size of the motor. For something mild to warm on the 302 size of thing would probabally work (500cfm). The really are a pain, and as I recall working on the AFB's more work then I had thought. I loved working on the old GM Quadrajet's but never really liked the AFB carbs for some reason. I would go with a single 4bbl and make an air box/filter that looks good, or scavange around for the webers, they show up now an again, but they require their own learning curve and are pricey.

Check around on ebay you can find some of the dual quads floating around now and again.

Sandy

If you still want to run dual quads I would do the following.Take an dual plane intake that holds two Holleys.Take two vacuum secondary carbs of max 600cfm and make that the first one opens a little earlier than the second one.So when you push the accellerator you begin with one carb and at full throttle they are both fully open.The vacuum secondaries will compensate for more or less power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
If you still want to run dual quads I would do the following.Take an intake that holds two Holleys.Take two vacuum secondary carbs of max 600cfm and make that the first one opens a little earlier than the second one.So when you push the accellerator you begin with one carb and at full throttle they are both fully open.The vacuum secondaries will compensate for more or less power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the maifold how well that will work. I did it on the Chevy and worked OK, but linkage was a pain, and still never ran as good as the single 4bbl.

I think you can't fit anything besides AFB's on the edelbrock, looks very tight even for non-metering block vacuum secondary carbs (1850's style). Not sure about other manifolds for the sbf.

Sandy

Back