Audi selection Turbo ?????

Can anyone tell me which one of the Audi transmissions are the best. Is their a difference between the Turbo and non turbo ??? My transmission is from a non turbo 1985 5000s non Quattro car "side shift". Is this the one too have ???????

The transmission you describe is more than likely the Audi 016 type box. What you now need to determin is which model of that box you have because each model has different gearing some being better than others.

There is no one answer to your question as to what box is best, is it which is best in the Audi range, 5 or 6 speed, Porsche or ZF. I would suggest that you work with the search option and do some research. You will find that in the mountain of information contained on the site is insite to all of your questions. I say insight because so much is involved in determing the correct answer for your requirments that you really have to do the research and understand what is available and what the cost and instalation requirments are for each transmission.

Good luck

Peter

Jim

I've never seen a comparison between the turbo and non-turbo
Audi 5000....so I don't know if both are 016 models.
As fas as I can tell....all the 016's used by the GT40
crowd are of the non-turbo version.

On the top of the bellhousing portion of the tranny there
should be code numbers stamped...such as AAZ or 5N which
tells you what gears the unit has. You may need a little
wire brushing to clean off the tranny to clearly see them.
There are threads on the Forum which show the ratios
associated with these codes.
Regards

MikeD

Thanks, I actually have 2 Transmissions, 5N21115 AND A 5N07034. It sounds like these may be the ones too have.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, sounds like you have a couple of type 5N's. I believe you'll find that for a V8 application the gears are not exactly optimal. You can read about many people's experiences on this transaxle forum.

You might be interested in a new ring and pinion that lowers all the ratios. You can read all about it on the following thread:

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/57684/an/0/page/0#57684

Enjoy, and welcome to the GT40's forum. There's so much to read, you'll always learn something!

Mitch D

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I have speculated that the diameter of the output flange on the turbo may be largerthan a standard model. Have you measured your CV bolt circles? Should be 94mm.

Jim

If you look in Neal's excellent build site in the transmission section, you'll see a chart of 016 ratios.

All 016's in the US are 3.60 first gear with either a 3.89 or 4.11 final drive which makes for a very short first gear
range and high rpm highway situation. Yet there are people
driving with these transmissions...so it depends how you use the car and what your budget is.

Roaring Forties sells a new 5th gear set that drops
highway revs down to a manageable level...and German Transaxle (as discussed by Mitch/Neal) is developing
a new final drive that makes all the ratios more V-8
friendly. Of course that doesn't come cheap.
But at least we have choices.

MikeD

Back