CAV Shifter upgrade

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I really wasn't happy with the stock shifting on my CAV and got the upgraded shifter from Ian Clark - the car now shifts like it should and I would (almost) consider a powershift.....!!

Best money I have spent on it yet.

Thanks Ian.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
What does the upgraded shifter consist of? I thought the cable shifting on my CAV was pretty good but maybe I just don't know how good it should be!

Thanks.

ps. who is Ian Clark?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Instead of the linkage passing through just one rubber bushing at the shifter and then through the heim at the right engine mount, the new linkage passes through two heims at the shifter, a steel mount/rose joint at the bulkhead and the heim at the engine mount. There is very little play.

The new set up also includes a stainless replacement panel for the bulkhead that is fixed in place to the chassis and houses the aforementioned rose joint.

The bulkhead can now be removed without removing the console or seats and seals engine noise and heat out much better.

Ian Clark is the CAV dealer in Canada.

I am not related.

Pat

You guys should try Ian's RH drive-RD shift setup. No mis shift, perfectly positive. Pretty fast shifting with a ZF. Enjoy it a lot!!

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
2124 said:
Instead of the linkage passing through just one rubber bushing at the shifter and then through the heim at the right engine mount, the new linkage passes through two heims at the shifter, a steel mount/rose joint at the bulkhead and the heim at the engine mount. There is very little play.

The new set up also includes a stainless replacement panel for the bulkhead that is fixed in place to the chassis and houses the aforementioned rose joint.

The bulkhead can now be removed without removing the console or seats and seals engine noise and heat out much better.

Ian Clark is the CAV dealer in Canada.

I am not related.

Pat

Pat, thanks, good information. I assume your CAV is not equipped with an 016 Audi box as on the 016 the shifter and linkage is on the left hand side of the trans rather than the right. My CAV mono #8 has a very simple cable linkage to the LH side of the 016 - certainly has some play but not a lot!

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Pat, John,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the shifter upgrade:)

Cliff,

On the Audi/Getrag we haven't got an upgrade for that system since all our cars have been ZFs. The Getrag cable system should do the job untill you're ready to make the jump to a ZF.

CAV Canada will be able to supply everything for the conversion except the transaxle, call Lloyd at RBT for that. The ZF Kit will include: Shifter, Shift Rods, Firewall Filler Panel with Support Bearing, Bellhousing, Transaxle Mounting Bracket, Clutch (single or twin disc), Aluminum Flywheel, Hydraulic Throwout Bearing, Hydraulic Lines and Fittings, HighTorque Starter and Starter Locating Plate.

Also when you go to the ZF your engine can drop to the original height, which will require new Motor Mounts and Oil Pan with Pickup. The stock Ford pans are 7.5 inches deep and the original style Aviad wet sump pans are 6.5. Again we can supply all these parts.

Enjoy your CAV GT and please feel free to call on the toll free tech line for a chat or assist you any way I can.

Cheers

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Chuck,

The next generation shifter which requires no donor parts from the CAV GT original ZF shifter is about ready to unveil. This means no plastic Audi/VW ball sockets or telescoping shift sticks. Real nice part, bolts in, hidden by console and bullit proof.

It cost a pile to develope however I expect the price to come in around where the old conversion came in if you include all the costs of gerking around sending old parts here for modifying.

So look for an announcement shortly and I will PM you with the price.

Thanks

Back