Halfshaft or CV joints?

I have a choice between half shafts or CV joints for my new RCR. I am not concerned about the strength. They are both very well built. I think the transaxle will fail before either axle option. Are there pro's and con's that I should be considering?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Dean,
I bought both in the past but reckon the CV axle is better in the long run as the rubber do-nuts on the half shaft couplings need regular checking for deterioration and can be expensive to replace.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
CV Joints have proven to be very reliable when run even at critical angles with minimal loss of HP (that means less friction / wear)..
I would go that route myself.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Fran,You are right, the CV shafts always look skinny and underpowered to me.Can you post us a picture of the standard half shaft without the isolastic coupling ?These are pretty prominent for that original look so what is used instead ?

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Dlampe said:
I have a choice between half shafts or CV joints

I'm confused.

If you you choose half shafts what will you connect to the hub with? And if you choose CV joints what will transmit the power from the box to the CV joint?

Did you mean "I have a choice between universal joints and CV joints on my half shafts?"

Ron

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The standard ZF has a four bolt flange...
We have the option of having the 4 bolt flange or a 108mm CV flange.
We make our own CV stub axle and we have finally got the axles.

We also have UJ style driveshafts made to join the 4 bolt ZF flange to a UJ stub axle....

Jimmy, its a straight bolt up flange to flange arrangement.....

What Dean did not mention is that this is a ZF only situation.....

Sorry I did fail to mention it was a ZF application. It is really more of a "look" thing. I want to look as original as I can given the kit I have decided to build. (RCR, ZF, SB ford) I think sometimes the original look might not look as good as the new stuff. Like braided line with red and blue fittings. Some like it, some don't. When you see CV's on one car and halfshafts with universal's on another, which looks like the guy built the best car and stayed within the "correct" look guidelines. Remember the guidelines are for replica's in the first place!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dean,
I agree totally with your comments. It boils down to personal preference. I am going for the U joint look too. Additionally, I will not have any chrome or colored fittings .... :) Some will like it, some will ask why I didn't put any bling on it.....

might I suggest for those going with the vintage look as I also prefer,to look at Aeroquip Startlite hose. Light, great strength Nomex that is black and looks good in a 60's inspired car.

Back