Low cost shifter ??

Has anyone looked into a Scion shifter? Looks like the Scion aftermarket is making a short throw shifter that may work and is very cheap. Brand new in the box from $35-$60 depending on the model. I am not sure about the physical size for mounting and I am goint to try and talk to Scion tomorrow and get that info.

Any feedback? Do you think this would work.

Does anyone know the amount of movement I would need to have front and back and side to side to make a g50 work?

Thanks

Attachments

• SHT-TC-0406-A.jpg
    SHT-TC-0406-A.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 551
Here is another shot showing the side to side linkage. I am concerned about the strength of the plastic.

Attachments

• 1130147840460_SS_TC04RS.jpg
    1130147840460_SS_TC04RS.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 539

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John
The shifter you are talking about works but because it is made from plastic doesn't allow modification and is too large for the transmission tunnel in most GT40's.

IMHO a more suitable choice is Toyota's remote shifter from an 88 Toyota Tercel wagon.
They are made from cast steel, extremely simple and only 80mm wide.
And most of all very cheap from the wreckers.

I am using the Toyota shifter in my GT40 with a CMS side shift on a G50 and it works beautifully.

Dimi

Dimi,
Can you give more info on the side shift that you have. I have heard about them, but have seen very little of them. Do you know much about the internals of it. I and I am sure others would like to know more. Where did you source yours etc., etc. Do you have any other pics of it. The few shots of it on your build thread don't show much. Could you post some more detailed ones?? Especially with the hookup etc. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Bill

John
It looks from what I can see on the linkage that this unit will produce a fore-aft motion with both shifter movements...I have not seen this unit, but maybe others can chime in here as you will need a fore and aft movement with the shift rod as well as rotation to select the gate in the gearbox. Maybe I missed something on the photo.
Cheers
Phil

Russ,
Thanks for the reminder of this thread. I had totally forgotten about it. My new shifter design may work rather well with this addition. Now about the cost!!!! My design will work whether it is onthe right or left side since I am a central shifter. I plan to call CMS to find out more on thie setup. My design is a little awkward at present, but what isn't in its first 5 iterations. Got to get it to work easily before improvements take hold.
The side shift is such a clean operation, and it keeps a lot of the paraphenalia(sp?) off of the back of the car.

Bill

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
My bad!:eek:

Side shifter is on LH side not RH. Therefore nice easy direct rod linkage for LHD, LH shift!:flameon:

Sorry guys,

I am using the shifter from a late '80s Toyota Corolla in my mid-engine car. This shifter uses cables. Has anyone compiled a list of what Toyota models use this shifter or one like it? It would be handy to be able to know what all models used this shifter when visiting the salvage yards.

I am using the shifter from a late '80s Toyota Corolla in my mid-engine car. This shifter uses cables. Has anyone compiled a list of what Toyota models use this shifter or one like it? It would be handy to be able to know what all models used this shifter when visiting the salvage yards.

After cruising throught he salvage yards, it seems that just about any FWD Toyota from the late '70's though the late '80's has a candidate shifter assembly. Some have a die cast ball retaining housing, and some have a stamped steel housing; that is the only fundamaental difference I see outside of some incidental brackets, etc. I also have an MR2 shifter assembly, but I probably won't use it.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking for a toyota shifter for some time and had not been able to find one. I had found only one salvage yard with the shifter I needed and they quoted me $75 (by email) so I called and they said $140 and send me to checkout who said $185. Guess they really did not want to sell it.

I had been to the toyota dealer and they do not sell the whole assy only the individual parts and most are not in stock. Some had to be ordered from usa dist and some from Japan. I gave up.

Today as I was calling salvage yards I was given a number of a salvage yard that does not advertise and they said they have one. $15 but I have to pull it myself. 1.5 hour drive and when I get there it is in a car stacked upon another. After climbing up the wrecks I climb into a tercel (dont know year or model but I am guessing a 87 or 88 ez) and there is the shifter, someone has already claimed the console so a couple of minutes later it was mine.

Now that thats done I have to find the adapters to connect the morse cables to the shifter.

Getting there slowly,

I attached my cables by simply drillling out the stud on the side arm for a 1/4 inch mounting stud and used a rod end with a stud in the ball. For the other cable I machined a banjo shaped aluminum piece that fitted the plastic cup on the end of the shifter arm that had a hole with 1/4 inch threads to thread onto the cable end. I made a plate to mount the shifter to that has the brackets to mount the cables to. I used Cablecraft cables rather than Morse.

Back