930 transaxle & oil cooling

For a road application with occasional track use, is it at all necessary to use a gearbox oil cooler, and if so does anyone have any good images of the locations where the casing should be tapped?

Plan to run this inverted behind 500hp.............

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Steve,

The stock style synchronizers in a 930 box call for the use of a dino type gear oil as synthetics are too slippery and will prevent them doing their job properly. Dino oil has a proprensity to thermal viscosity break down. Putting 500 HP through this box, and especially the crown & pinion gears, is going to stress them and generate a lot of heat. So, running a cooler is kind of like buying an insurance policy. Yes, you can get by without it, but it is really nice to have that added margin of safety. The choice is yours.

Lynn

Steve.
Mopst tap into what used to be the top plug, inverted now the drain plug. Then You have to run to a filter, pump, cooler, then manifold to spray the various gears/ ring pinion. I am using 1/4" npt treaded manifold from Aircraft Spruce. Their spray setup is WAY too small for the sprayers. Would generaate too much pressure on the pump and would put out only a mist of spay(wouldn't know if they ever clogged either). So I am planning on running open hoses(about an AN-4) to the top of the gears(2-4) and the ring/pinion. I am using a Mocal pump.

mocpmp.jpg
This 12v fluid circulation pump is suitable for various applications: transmission / differential / rear end cooling, turbo oiling, water intercoolers, cool suits etc. The motor is equipped with ball bearing drive and integral cooling fan for long life. The pump is self priming, meaning it can be mounted above the liquid level, and is capable of handling fluid temps up to 300 degrees F. Nylon pump head/housing with viton diaphragm / seals. Pump head can be indexed 90 degrees for convenient fluid connections.
  • Flow rate 1.0-2.0 GPM and up to 54 PSI
  • WT 3.5 lbs.
  • 3/8" NPT fittings
  • 8 amp current draw

With the unrestricted flow, there should be oiling. Will tap a thermostat into the outflow fitting and a switch override. Should have some pics in about a week. Just delivered the trans for the work.
The slave cylinder is a bit tricky as the pressure plate is a puller type like the stock setup. That is right about where my crossover bar is located.

Bill

Thanks.........I am just about to have this trans put together with fresh synchros, but have not had the chance to look at it close disassembled, so don't know yet where Ill need to drill/Tap for the spray bar hoses.

Pictures when you have them would be fantastic

Not the best pic but it is the way I plan on doing mine. This is Rick Merz setup before he sold it. Somer of the G50s have them on the side. They have to have a little restriction to create the spray as 1-2 Gpm out four or five hoses probably wouldn't reach the gears very well. 1-2 Gpm is about how fast your focet flows. Basicly mine will be gravity feed from the cooler to the top of the trans over the gears. The ring and pinion will be slightly to the back of the curve of the ring gear due to crossover bar.

Attachments

• Rick Merz coolers.jpg
    Rick Merz coolers.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 321
Back