BMW M60 V8 to a Audi 016 Gearbox

Hi All!
Brand new to the forum and my oh my, how much I have learned already! Very good stuff! rockonsmile

I am currently building a Kit car (Ok so its not a GT40, but the same drivetrain problems exists for my Countach) Doro's window on the world

I am looking for an adapter plate, flywheel and clutch to connect a BMW M60 V8 from a BMW 740i and Audi 016 gearbox.

I know that some kit car manufacturers of GT40 and the post by JDinner have merged the BMW V12 to the same gearbox. I presume the adapter plate would be similar? JDinner - I have emailed you as well just in case you dont see this post ;-)

I am not eager to do it myself due to the minimal tolerances required and my zero knowledge on this subject. Does anyone know who can supply me the complete kit or even exact drawings I can send to a workshop to machine for me?

Thanks again
Damian

Hi All!
Brand new to the forum and my oh my, how much I have learned already! Very good stuff! rockonsmile

I am currently building a Kit car (Ok so its not a GT40, but the same drivetrain problems exists for my Countach) Doro's window on the world

I am looking for an adapter plate, flywheel and clutch to connect a BMW M60 V8 from a BMW 740i and Audi 016 gearbox.

I know that some kit car manufacturers of GT40 and the post by JDinner have merged the BMW V12 to the same gearbox. I presume the adapter plate would be similar? JDinner - I have emailed you as well just in case you dont see this post ;-)

I am not eager to do it myself due to the minimal tolerances required and my zero knowledge on this subject. Does anyone know who can supply me the complete kit or even exact drawings I can send to a workshop to machine for me?

Thanks again
Damian

Damian,
why are you going so crazy? The Countach has the gearbox in the tunnel giving the power to the rear diff through a shaft placed in the engine sump.
How are you gonna replicate this installation?
If you are interested, I saw a Diablo VT 5,7 L powertrain for sale. Brand new.
0 km - About 4WD? No problem, it is a VISCOUS TRACTION. It is sufficient to do not connect the drive shaft going to the front and the 2 WD is well made.
In this way you will have some power and a nice sound.
Let me know.
Ciao
Wanni

If you haven't already got the engine then may I suggest you get hold of an Audi 4.2 V8 instead as that will bolt straight onto the 016 (or 01E, 01X) without the need for any adaptor plates. Alloy flywheels and clutches are also easily available.

Hilly

Hi Guys!

Getting a Diablo drive train will not work as then I would have to get the Lambo motor... That alone could cost me more than the entire project budget!

I have already bought the motor, picked it up for a bargain (literally next to nothing with all computer boxes, aircon, alternator, starter, wiring harness etc...) so now I’m stuck with it. I’m told its a pretty bulletproof and powerful motor though... time will tell.

I guess if I would have to advise anybody then taking the entire Audi A4 engine and gearbox would be MUCH easier, and you have a choice of engines. It seems however that most people are using Ford motors in their builds, have not seen any Audi powered mid engine replicas...

Damian

Attachments

• BMW 740i motor.jpg
    BMW 740i motor.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,205
Damian,look at parallel designs lamborghini website in england.i think they have used bmw engine and a6 box.they might be able to help you
Kevin

If you have already got the engine then I guess you are a bit committed down your current route.

There is a GT40 rep with an Audi V8 in it as I have seen pics of it on this site.
I am suprised the Audi V8 is not more popular with mid engine kits/replicas as it is nice and short, light and will bolt directly to an Audi 2wd transaxle.

If intersted here is what the V8 looks like bolted to a transaxle about to go back into my Lotus.

IMG_0819750x562.jpg

Hilly

Where are you fitting the gearbox?
If it is in the original Countach position, in the tunnel, how will you get to the wheels?
If you put it behind the engine, then you need a very short gearbox.
In the Countach there is a luggage room in the rear of the car.
Well, if you do not mind to meet as much as possible the originality of the car, then it is another story.
Anyway, the complete powertrain was only 30.000 €uros, brand new, unused. Can you immagine when you put down flat the gas pedal in 3rd gear what is gonna happen????
A dragster, simply a dragster.
Up to you. Sorry for not being able to help.
Ciao
Wanni

Damian, It can be done have a look here kit c e n t r a l :: Diablo Builder Support Group

you may need to join up but it will be worth it, and from another builder a BMW with a audi 016 hope these help. how long is your BMW motor, i'm doing a Lexus v8 with 016 in a countach, lexus is about 720 long.

Regards
Lambo

Attachments

• Full_chassis_combined.sized.jpg
    Full_chassis_combined.sized.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,264
  • DCP_1729.jpg
    DCP_1729.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,407
  • 045_8A.sized.jpg
    045_8A.sized.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,025
If you have already got the engine then I guess you are a bit committed down your current route.

There is a GT40 rep with an Audi V8 in it as I have seen pics of it on this site.
I am suprised the Audi V8 is not more popular with mid engine kits/replicas as it is nice and short, light and will bolt directly to an Audi 2wd transaxle.

If intersted here is what the V8 looks like bolted to a transaxle about to go back into my Lotus.

IMG_0819750x562.jpg

Hilly

If I recall correctly, the Audi V8 is not at all light weight. Seems it's some 150lbs heavier than a SBF. I have the engine weights listed somewhere; I'll have to search them out.

I do agree however, that an Audi V8 with the commensurate transaxle would be a nice package.

Andy

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So - just how strong is the Audi 016 gearbox? I've seen the gearbox along side the Porsche G50 and the Porsche trans is far bigger - yet it seems that many people shy away from the P-Trans.. Curious as to why...

That differential in Lambo's pictures above appears to be a Dana 36 differential from a 84-96 Corvette..

If I recall correctly, the Audi V8 is not at all light weight. Seems it's some 150lbs heavier than a SBF. I have the engine weights listed somewhere; I'll have to search them out.

Andy

Not sure what the SBF comes in at, but the Audi V8 is about 200KG with all the bits on as the block is alloy with no steel/iron cylinder liners.

I have got a complete dis-assembled engine at home so I'll try and chuck it all on a set of scales during the week to get a better answer.

Hilly

The Audi V8 option looks damn fine actually, and it 'is' lighter than a cast block unit. The less buggering around making up adapter plates etc, the better.

Graeme, that chassis setup with the V8 heading south/north looks good. But it does seem an excess of weight. If a 'standard' type of transaxle is used, and the motor in the North/south direction, the output shafts would be in the same position as they are now using the separate diff unit. It would be a good idea though for a 4WD setup.

Wanni, if I had 30k Euros, Id snap up that driveline quick as. I would rework my chassis to fit the engine and take out the V8 thats going in there. Thing is, at 30kEuro its about the same amount as the total project so far!! Have you got a cheaper, used unit you know of?? hahaha!

Hi Bruce, I seriously looked at the way KEVKEV did his diablo with the engine about faced, i guess the only added weight would be the vdrive unit and the driveshaft etc so it probably added another 50lb ?, nothing the addition of a turbo would not sort out, the only concern i had is the diff sits low down in the picture so the axels would seem to run uphill alot, but it seems to work for him.As far as the audi v8 it would be nice something out of a R8 would be nice, all i need is a way to pay for it, what would a 20yr old son fetch on the market???.

Best regards
Lambo

The Audi V8 option looks damn fine actually, and it 'is' lighter than a cast block unit. The less buggering around making up adapter plates etc, the better.

Graeme, that chassis setup with the V8 heading south/north looks good. But it does seem an excess of weight. If a 'standard' type of transaxle is used, and the motor in the North/south direction, the output shafts would be in the same position as they are now using the separate diff unit. It would be a good idea though for a 4WD setup.

Wanni, if I had 30k Euros, Id snap up that driveline quick as. I would rework my chassis to fit the engine and take out the V8 thats going in there. Thing is, at 30kEuro its about the same amount as the total project so far!! Have you got a cheaper, used unit you know of?? hahaha!

Yes my friend, there is something much much cheaper then that, the manufacturer name is SHIMANO.
Ciao Amigo

Hi All,

I now have the bolt configuration for the gearbox and plans for the flywheel, appreciate it guys!!! The only outstanding thing which I require is the bolt pattern for the BMW M60 V8 motor. Is it the same as the V12? Any ideas where I can get a drawing or a CAD design for that?

Thanks to all that contributed already, I appreciate all feedback.

BTW, Please, please keep this thread relevant!

Doro

Back